Quote Originally Posted by kev23777 View Post
    I must be doing something wrong....

kevin@kevin-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get -y install linux-tree-2.6.12
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package linux-tree-2.6.12

Are you sure you don't want this:
    kernel-tree-2.4.27 - Linux kernel source tree for building Debian kernel images

it is the only thing in the repo whose name seems to come close to what you are looking for but it is a 2.4 kernel not a 2.6 one.
    Visit my site for free on-line web developer tools.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: HOWTO: Suspend2 in Breezy

Hello, Kevin. I'm afraid this HOW-TO applies to Breezy, and is several versions out-of-date. But, there's good news:

Starting from fiesty, you can install Suspend2 by adding a line to your repositories, then just install the suspend2 package. This almost replaces my entire how-to on the subject; you still have to make a change to the kernel bootup line in grub, on some machines, but for the most part, it's an automated install.

I'll try to write up a how-to for gutsy if I get some free time today (if no-one has beat me to it.)

Beans

Arrow Re: HOWTO: Suspend2 in Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin3 View Post
    Hello, Kevin. I'm afraid this HOW-TO applies to Breezy, and is several versions out-of-date. But, there's good news:

Starting from fiesty, you can install Suspend2 by adding a line to your repositories, then just install the suspend2 package. This almost replaces my entire how-to on the subject; you still have to make a change to the kernel bootup line in grub, on some machines, but for the most part, it's an automated install.

I'll try to write up a how-to for gutsy if I get some free time today (if no-one has beat me to it.)

Hey! I'm actually trying to install tuxonice on Hardy. I've been trying to build a custom kernel, no luck..... I spent 30+ hours on this thing already.. : (

(my machine doesn't power down..)

could you tell me how to config the repositories to get the automated package??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

2 different variation of questions that ask somewhat the same thing

1. has anyone ever actually been able to resume from either suspend or hibernate using older nvidia drivers (96.xx) in ubuntu (been trying since 7.xx, still doesnt seem to work (out of the box), now on 10.04)?

2. does this work - would really like to get nvidia proprietary driver working (so my gui looks decent, flash videos play without flashing, etc) and have the ability to suspend / hibernate...

thanks (sorry for resurrecting this 2 year old thread, but it seems that it could work...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Wow. Did I write this? It seems like another lifetime. Oh, yeah, I had a couple kids in the meanwhile ...

As I understood it, the 96.xx series of nvidia drivers just didn't have the proper suspend/revive hooks, and no amount of kernel adjustment would make it work. The newer nvidia drivers put in the appropriate library functions, or debugged them, or whatever ... so upgrading your nvidia driver would really be the way to go.

If you have old hardware and can't upgrade your driver, I understand this is of absolutely no help to you. But that is the solution. And the diaper fumes have pretty much erased my understanding of the kernel suspend interface ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Griffin3

thanks for getting back to me
    i have an older geforce 4 4200 mobile card (best driver i can get is the 96.xx)

its a laptop so its somewhat hard to "upgrade"

the question is - i have a very similar laptop, which has a geforce 5 5200/5600 mobile (nv31 / nv34)

which based on nvidia's website - 173.14
    do you know (or can point me in the direction) of whether this newer card / driver has support before moving hardware around to test the theory?

thanks,

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021