Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Suspend2 in Breezy

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Suspend2 in Breezy

Well in my case the default doesn't work, so this is I guess is the only hope, but if the default works, then I don't think you would want suspen2...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hello! Had a long weekend that was very much like a vacation. Maybe because I was away from the computer the whole time

art: The suspend2 has some toshiba-specific code in it that I could not make heads nor tails of when I was hacking the patch to fit the ubuntu files. But looking through the suspend2 mailing lists, it does not look like they have very good support for the toshibas yet. A lot of the name-brand laptops have started writing windows-specific BIOS routines for their power-management functions, and I think Toshiba is one of the worst at compliance with the standards that make linux programming easy. You might have better luck with the 2.2 suspend patch and a newest (2.6.14?) kernel, but then you lose all of the Ubuntu custom patches.

gillion: The built-in kernel suspend functions are still using the old, original codebase, and a lot of machines are not supported by this. A lot of standard, generic computers work fine, but the laptops which are least likely to use standardardized parts and BIOS are the ones that tend not to work with the built-in suspend. In addition, the suspend2 code works somewhat faster, has more feature, and compresses the image it writes to the disk (but I would not upgrade for these reasons, unless you really needed a particular feature.)

hedge: If the suspend is running about 75% and then failing, it sounds like it is writing all the caches and user-space code to the disk, and then failing on the atomic write of the kernel image. This likely has more to do with the parts of the patch I edited to work with the ubuntu, rather than the suspend2 code itself. Let me take a look at this, and see if I might find any obvious bonehead mistakes.

[Just in case anyone was wondering, most of the patches to the patches that I made were because of duplication, not me re-writing code. For instance, the patch to the Bernard-44 subsytem would not apply, because the Ubuntu people had already applied this patch, so I just removed the duplicate. On the smp and toshiba laptop stuff, I take full responsibility for the bugs.]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Mizzou Engineer: I imagine when you turn off the old "Software Suspend" in the make menuconfig step it removes the hook for the wake-up call. You *might* want to try re-compiling the kernel with this truned back on, and just be wary of conflicts between the two suspend methods. If it was my machine, I would just disable the screen shutdown, or pick a black screen-saver (though, IIRC, black pixels consume the most power by a small fraction)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Suspend2 on LVM

I misplaced who was having the difficulty with running Suspend2 on LVM, due to overagressive deleting of messages ; but there is a great how-to on Nigel's site at http://www.suspend2.net/HOWTO-7.html#ss7.3 -- apparently you need to use an initrd to run Suspend2 with LVM.

Beans

Re: Suspend2 on LVM

Yeah, I am afraid at this point I should juts give up on the hope of getting this to work... Thanks a lot though!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin3
    hedge: If the suspend is running about 75% and then failing, it sounds like it is writing all the caches and user-space code to the disk, and then failing on the atomic write of the kernel image. This likely has more to do with the parts of the patch I edited to work with the ubuntu, rather than the suspend2 code itself. Let me take a look at this, and see if I might find any obvious bonehead mistakes.
    I had the same effect on a Dell Inspiron 5160 (SMP/Hyperthreading), that's when I first gave up. Now, I just tried it with a vanilla 2.6.13 kernel and the latest stable Suspend2. It still happened and with the current Version, you can also see the message saying that it's doing the atomic write. Actually, this only happens about 90% of the times, if it does get to the shutdown, it'll hang loading the kernel image, however.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be a problem with your tweaks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Abnaxos
    I had the same effect on a Dell Inspiron 5160 (SMP/Hyperthreading), that's when I first gave up. Now, I just tried it with a vanilla 2.6.13 kernel and the latest stable Suspend2. It still happened and with the current Version, you can also see the message saying that it's doing the atomic write. Actually, this only happens about 90% of the times, if it does get to the shutdown, it'll hang loading the kernel image, however.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be a problem with your tweaks.
    Thanks for the info (validation). I also suspect the code in there for clustered computers; if they are having trouble getting SMP machines to work, then I can't imagine they have a handle on a cluster yet.

Beans

Thanks for the info (validation). I also suspect the code in there for clustered computers; if they are having trouble getting SMP machines to work, then I can't imagine they have a handle on a cluster yet.
    When I was trying to get Suspend2 to work in Fedora this site has precompiled kernels that did support smp with Suspend2 from what I recall.. > http://mhensler.de/swsusp/

hedge

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

art: The suspend2 has some toshiba-specific code in it that I could not make heads nor tails of when I was hacking the patch to fit the ubuntu files. But looking through the suspend2 mailing lists, it does not look like they have very good support for the toshibas yet. A lot of the name-brand laptops have started writing windows-specific BIOS routines for their power-management functions, and I think Toshiba is one of the worst at compliance with the standards that make linux programming easy. You might have better luck with the 2.2 suspend patch and a newest (2.6.14?) kernel, but then you lose all of the Ubuntu custom patches.
    Your HOWTO works perfectly with a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600. It's an older Toshiba laptop (P3/750), circa 2001. I do have one question though? Is there a step missing for applying Ubuntu's kernel patches or are they already included in the 2.6.12 kernel source that (we) apt-get installed.

G.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

The Ubuntu patches are already applied in the linux-tree kernel source that you apt-get. What is not already in there is the restricted modules, that are available in binary-only form, like the nvidia and madwifi drivers.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast