Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Suspend2 in Breezy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: HOWTO: Suspend2 in Breezy

Ok I got hibernate to work with the proprietory Nvidia driver..... This however does not allow you to press ctrl+alt+F1 to get to the console.

When you press ctrl+alt+F1 you get a garbled screen, but ctrl+alt+F7 works perfectly, so if you only use X then I have found the solution for you...

Anyone interested please pm me....
    Last edited by chanders; October 20th, 2005 at 02:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

chanders: I hope I am not stating the obvious, but have you tried listing (and uncommenting) the nvidia modules in the /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf file, where it says:
    Code:
    ### modules
    # UnloadModules snd_via82cxxx usb-ohci
    LoadModules auto
    I don't know if the nvidia module is one you can just unload like this, but maybe by putting it explicitly in this file (all these drivers are unloaded while still in X, before ss2 actually begins)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thanks Griffin... I tried that before you even made the suggestion Apparently the module cannot be unloaded while you have an X session running.

By commenting the module, the suspend process just bundles up everything without removing the module, and then shuts down the machine.

When it reboots however, all of my virtual consoles on F1 and F2 have a garbled screen, presumably because that text mode was not reinitialised on resume. The graphical mode (X) on F7 however works perfectly. I tried using vbetools to reinitialise the text mode on resume but that causes LCD burn...

It is a trade off between using the virtual consoles and having a working suspend to disk...

Thanks again for your patch....

Beans

Hey Griffen3- I just got Suspend2 patched into a new 2.6.12-9-686-smp kernel using the swap writer yet I have a problem (lol, go figure!) When hibernating Suspend2 copies about 75% of the image then hangs.

Did you ever experience this? If so what was your tact to resolve this issue?

tia

hedge

Beans

I did exactly what you said point to point as I pasted the commands and here is what I got :
    CC init/version.o
    LD init/built-in.o
    LD .tmp_vmlinux1
    kernel/built-in.o: In function `s2_compress_write_init':
    compression.c:text+0x189cc: undefined reference to `get_next_filter'
    compression.c:text+0x18a09: undefined reference to `bytes_out'
    compression.c:text+0x18a13: undefined reference to `bytes_in'
    kernel/built-in.o: In function `s2_compress_write':
    compression.c:text+0x18a3b: undefined reference to `bytes_out'
    kernel/built-in.o: In function `s2_compress_write_chunk':
    compression.c:text+0x18afa: undefined reference to `bytes_in'
    kernel/built-in.o: In function `s2_compress_read_init':
    compression.c:text+0x18c3d: undefined reference to `get_next_filter'
    kernel/built-in.o: In function `s2_compress_print_debug_stats':
    compression.c:text+0x18ea5: undefined reference to `bytes_out'
    compression.c:text+0x18eb5: undefined reference to `bytes_in'
    compression.c:text+0x18ee6: undefined reference to `bytes_out'
    compression.c:text+0x18eec: undefined reference to `bytes_in'
    kernel/built-in.o: In function `s2_compress_save_config_info':
    compression.c:text+0x18f33: undefined reference to `bytes_in'
    compression.c:text+0x18f43: undefined reference to `bytes_out'
    kernel/built-in.o: In function `s2_compress_load_config_info':
    compression.c:text+0x18f84: undefined reference to `bytes_in'
    compression.ctext+0x18f8c: undefined reference to `bytes_out'
    kernel/built-in.o: In function `s2_encrypt_write_init':
    encryption.c:text+0x19195 undefined reference to `get_next_filter'
    encryption.c:text+0x191e8 undefined reference to `bytes_out'
    encryption.c:text+0x191f2: undefined reference to `bytes_in'
    kernel/built-in.o: In function `s2_encrypt_write_chunk':
    encryption.c:text+0x19237: undefined reference to `bytes_in'
    kernel/built-in.o: In function `s2_encrypt_read_init':
    encryption.c:text+0x192cf): undefined reference to `get_next_filter'
    kernel/built-in.o: In function `s2_compress_load':
    compression.c.init.text+0xc8d): undefined reference to `suspend_register_plugin'
    compression.c.init.text+0xca3): undefined reference to `suspend_register_procfile'
    kernel/built-in.o: In function `s2_encrypt_load':
    encryption.c.init.text+0xcd4 undefined reference to `suspend_register_plugin'
    encryption.c.init.text+0xcea: undefined reference to `suspend_register_procfile'
    make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

What's the matter?

Beans

This certainly does work. However, you must be sure to get exactly the right address for the swap device in the DEFAULT_RESUME_DEVICE field or you'll get a "BIG FAT ERROR" and have to continue booting the kernel all over.

You also must be sure to get your / filesystem type compiled into the kernel and not just a module. If you run Reiser you must compile Reiser in there, and it was not mentioned in there. Also, be sure to NOT use the nvidia or ATI drivers as these gum up suspend.

This is pretty dang fast- it goes down in about six seconds and comes up in about four. It also must not hurt that my IDE chipset was well-supported and I can write data at ~60MB/sec. Well done!

Beans

Yeah, I *do* have one issue. When my display turns off via the power-management settings, I cannot "wake" it back up. This is running the custom -hibernate kernel after I have hibernated and resumed.

Is there a work-around such as changing a line of the APCI or X config? Or should I just not have my laptop screen ever turn off (it's nice to have, but not nearly as important as the ability to suspend.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

griffin3, you're my hero

for all those considering doing this how-to:
    my advice : DO IT! so worth it. couple this with a usplash in custom kernel so you're not at a loss with eye candy, and you're in business

difficulty: medium
    time: ~1h (took about 40 min or so on my AMD64 3200+)

griffin, although the instructions overall were understandable, there are some bits and pieces that took me a while to realize. lol, maybe its just me.
    4.10 - Good
    5.04 - Good
    5.10 - BUGGY
    6.04 -

Beans

Well, I think I can say the suspend just doesn't work on Toshiba Satellite A65. I have tried a lot before , now I tried with griffin's suggestions, still no go, although I think I got a little further. Maybe someone can help me out here, which will make me a really happy person. The text after I type hibernate shows it saves all the needed info, then it sais Powering Down, and that's it... It stays there forever. If I press the power button, and boot back, I get a nonresposive gnome I tried with minimalistic environment as well, without any modules loaded, still hangs... Please, any suggestions... This is almost the last thing I don't have working on Ubuntu.
    Thanks a lot

Beans

What advantage does Suspend2 on breezy provide over the default suspend to disk/hibernate function ?

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast