Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please tell your ideas about future laptops

Beans

Please tell your ideas about future laptops

What I mean is - laptop concepts ... maybe like these http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
    Im WELL impressed with THIS http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/02/l...n-liquid-fuel/
    quote "which is powered by an awesome bubbly blue methyl alcohol fuel instead of a regular (read: boring) lithium-ion battery"
    Apparently LG has already produced a prototype.
    Sony Vaio concept looks nice http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/slick/vai...ure-301098.php

I'd want my laptop to be absolutely silent (not a hiss or beep whatsoever) which may actually come true with SSD disks

Beans

Re: Please tell your ideas about future laptops

keyboard should be based on multitouch technology also

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Martiini View Post
    keyboard should be based on multitouch technology also
    no thanks, I like buttons... nice buttons with actual movement and feel

I have been thinking about something else: extreme power saving.
    I want to be able to turn off any component of my computer whenever I want. For example, when I want to leave the computer on to download something during the night, I want to turn off the gfx card and the sound card (integrated or not) and even turn off any unneeded memory sticks or leave only one CPU core. I want them off completely, no point in wasting power. There has to be a common interface implemented across all possible components but I don't think that this is such a problem. I any case the gain will be bigger than the headache of development.
    Registered Linux User #405106

Beans

Beans

my concept is simple. A mac book Air like laptop, with some kind of DVD RW, That run on Linux.

Thing I would say NO:
    Touch Keyboard, or any touch key, they are the most annoying thing ever.
    Try to act fancy Design, most Laptop today looks really bad.
    Heavy like hell, I have a Mac book Pro, and it is like super hard, that hurt my back. (I have to care it to school for class.)
    Cheap material, come on it is a laptop, no cheap practice please.

Thing I would say Yes:
    Make it more physical. give me like a solid keyboard please, under light LED would be good, if they don't break easy.
    Metal case or some strong carbon case. Make it more solid.
    you know just make it lighter and have a good battery life.
    Make it like a tablet would be good for me (for Art)
    The Mac Book air really close to what I want. except that it run under a mac system that can be hack in 2 days and 2 mins. And it doesn't have Disk reader or writer. And the battery life are short.

That intel laptop show above looks sweet too. I like it more then the Mac book Air, except it doesn't really exist. at least, you can't get one for sure. haha
    Last edited by Ioky; April 14th, 2008 at 12:09 AM.

Beans

A lightweight and powerful Toughbook.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'd like to see removable screens so you can use your laptop at home at a desk ... well, if we are talking the future- holograms would be nice. maybe a laptop becomes a little ball or block with a holographic display and a laser keyboard (or something better) shining the keyboard on any surface in front of you.

Beans

Ever seen that film... what was it...

Oh yes, First $20 Million is always the Hardest.

I think it would be pretty cool to have something like that.
    A small test-tube sized computer with a projection like screen and an infra-red sensor to detect where you hands are above it.

It would have to be Linux, of course!

Beans

I'd like low spec (~eee?) laptop with a "digital paper" screen and long battery time.
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

On current technology, I think the HP mini is pretty close to what I want - a decent sub-notebook. If the processor has a bit more grunt, it would be perfect.

The key for me is a small, rugged and functional notetaking, email, web browsing and presentation machine for the road and being able to dock it with a fullsize screen and keyboard back at the office. SSD storage is fine with me. I don't really have any need for DVD-R on the road. A slim, external CD reader would be sufficient.

In the next generation I'd really like to see a removable screen that could act as a PDA/smartphone in its own right.

Oh, and a button that turns it into a fullsize Mazeratti. That would be cool!
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast