Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: ATI fglrx driver 8.16.20

Beans

Re: HOW-TO: ATI fglrx driver 8.16.20

By just running glxgears of course, without the crazy command.
    Then you don't have the Breezy version of the file, unless they changed it today. I haven't been able to run an update since the formal release...the servers just time out.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Ok I just did a clean install of Ubuntu Breezy...

What would be your suggestion mlomker???
    what would be the safest way to install the driver on a fresh install?

That way I know nothing I did before will cause a conflict!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Note: The EASIEST way....i.e. 8.16.20....no need for the latest version...any working version will do!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SilverTab
    Note: The EASIEST way....i.e. 8.16.20....no need for the latest version...any working version will do!
    That's what the first post of this thread was for.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by mlomker
    Then you don't have the Breezy version of the file, unless they changed it today. I haven't been able to run an update since the formal release...the servers just time out.
    Okay, I' m back. Back to VESA, that is

First, there is nothing wrong with the glxgears utility. Turned out I never let it run long enough to actually come up with an FPS rate. Yes, it was that slow.

Second, I did exactly what you told me, reinstalled the packages you named. Must warn you however, there is actually no package called linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12, look:

Code:
    olav@dinges:~$ apt-cache search linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-9-386 - Non-free Linux 2.6.12 modules on 386
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-9-386-nvidia-legacy - Non-free Linux 2.6.12 NVIDIA legacy module on 386
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-9-686 - Non-free Linux 2.6.12 modules on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIVlinux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-9-686-nvidia-legacy - Non-free Linux 2.6.12 modules on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-9-686-smp - Non-free Linux 2.6.12 modules on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV SMP
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-9-686-smp-nvidia-legacy - Non-free Linux 2.6.12 modules on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV SMP
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-9-k7 - Non-free Linux 2.6.12 modules on AMD K7
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-9-k7-nvidia-legacy - Non-free Linux 2.6.12 modules on AMD K7
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-9-k7-smp - Non-free Linux 2.6.12 modules on AMD K7 SMP
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-9-k7-smp-nvidia-legacy - Non-free Linux 2.6.12 modules on AMD K7 SMP
    Of those, I took linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-9-k7 which also matches the kernel I' m running.

I did the fglrxconfig and shut down X with Ctrl+Alt+BS, but no joy. Then I rebooted, and it was almost like Eureka! Perfect FPS on glxgears, and the info in fglrxinfo showed ATI as vendor...

Then I was almost finished typing a message, telling you what a great guru you really are (I still do not doubt that)

But old problems started again, causing the screen to freeze completely except for the mouse cursor.

I have tried several things, while being logged in from another machine with ssh to keep an eye on top. And it puzzles me completely. The screen does not necessarily freeze when I'm running "heavy" stuff like glxgears. Even after a fresh reboot, after logging in and using only gedit and Firefox it goes STOP.

In fact, when that happens, X takes almost 100% CPU usage and only because I have the ssh login I can kill -9 the sucker and return more or less to normal. Took me a couple of reboots though, to test it through.

So. the only driver that seems capable of giving me video overlay for TVTime and good 3D performance, is actually preventing me from doing anything for longer than a few minutes...

I need to go to bed now. In fact, I needed to go to bed 3-4 hours ago. I appreciate all the cooperation here and I do hope that this thing gets sorted out during the weekend. This is going to be quite the learning experience

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

ok ill follow the instructions closely (again)...and make sure I didnt miss anything....

i'll report back!... *fingers crossed*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by SilverTab
    Yes, and while I agree that it should work, it is not working for everybody - alas!

How do I find out which kernel I'm running?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

type uname -a

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

nah.,..nothing will do...

I followed your exact instructions on a clean install and it wont work (and It was working in hoary )

Do you think the online xorg.conf tools you posted in your original thread might help?

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast