Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 5.10: Netinstall Floppies

Beans

Re: 5.10: Netinstall Floppies

THIS NEEDS AN UPDATE!!!!
    PLEASE!

Possibly to 6.10, but If someone could make an Xubuntu install that would be better. Then U could add whatever U want!

Beans
    Hidden!

Wow. Finally a boot disk system applicable for my ThinkPad240. UDB-CD. PCMCIA-Ethernet-Card without any specs. Spooky....
    The alternative was a boot-floppy--installerCD - combination with Debian. Great. 4 Floppies and over 11 (eleven) installer CDs to download. What a monster. With my Kubuntu-liveCD things are far more handy after your boot-disks came in here.
    Thomas

Beans

Question Re: 5.10: Netinstall Floppies

Hey Guys:
    first of all thanx for this nice work, but there is still a problem for me: I only got a pcmcia Network card (3com 3c589D) in a Toshiba Tecra 500cdt. The automatic detection is not able to find it.
    Was trying to do
    Code:
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.12-9-386/kernel/drivers/net/pcmcia/3c589_cs.ko
    but received
    Code:
    error ... Unknown symbol in module
    Any ideas!? thanks

btw I only have a floppy drive .. no cd ... no other network devices

Beans

Sounds like you're using a module compiled for a different kernel..

I've updated the disks to Edgy(http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=350651). You may have more luck installing using those, or at least have more luck finding a 3com module that matches the kernel on the disks.

Beans

Thanks for your effort: it is really indispensable for several Toshiba sub-notebooks (a.k.a. Portege 3xxx and 4xxx) which have a PCMCIA CD ROM or DVD ROM not recognized by the installer.

Now to the question. I need to install kubuntu (or perhaps xubuntu) for a friend who has no broadband. I need a stable system and right now with Feisty forthcoming, I feel the 6.06 is better as it guarantees another two years of support with hopefully not too many changes.

I did it by updating 5.10, but it does not work really well... So I would need to do the 6.06 netinstall disks.

You've been really nice to do the 5.10 and 6.10 version..... could you pls post a little tutorial on how to do this for 6.06 as well?? Thanks. Q

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Curufir View Post
    Sounds like you're using a module compiled for a different kernel..

I've updated the disks to Edgy(http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=350651). You may have more luck installing using those, or at least have more luck finding a 3com module that matches the kernel on the disks.
    It worked with the disks for 6.10 edgy. Thanks so far, but unfortunately I faced new problems ... the xubuntu installation stops at 85% while preparing the package ttf-bitstream-vera.
    I will ask google ...

Markus

Beans

I'd probably install the server first, then apt-get the xubuntu-desktop package later. That way you have a working system to fix things in.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Hopefully this isnt dead, when I combine the files it comes to 1440kb, and wont fit on the flioppy disc, on both windows and linux. What do I do?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234