Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Earn an F with Ubuntu!

Beans

Exclamation Earn an F with Ubuntu!

Major Universities such as the University of Minnesota and other MN schools now require students to have a Windows OS. The reason they are requiring this is because more and more classes have online exams. This is especially true when you take an Online course.

For the three years that I've been a MN student I haven't had a problem using Ubuntu until recently. The problems comes when I try to take an online test. My school now requires me to take the test with a new web browser called: "LockDown Browser" by Respondus.

Here is the link to the application:

http://www.respondus.com/products/lockdown.shtml

The LockDown Browser supports Windows and Mac but not Linux! When launched the browser automatically shuts down unnecessary applications that may be running. For instance, Pidgin, FireFox, Word, etc. It does this in order to stop people from cheating.

So, if you only have Ubuntu on your system you're screwed because without the LockDown Browser you can't take your exam. Which means you'll earn an F! for trying to support open source!

This is really troubling because I would love to use Ubuntu exclusively but am unable to do so until I'm done with school.

I've tried to get Wine to run the browser but it doesn't work.

Just thought I would warn all those students out their that love Ubuntu. You'll have to dual boot.
    Last edited by Sef; March 5th, 2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Changed size to default

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Earn an F with Ubuntu!

I'm not saying cheat but you could always run windows in a virtual environment and continue to use pidgin/word/whatever in ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by edm1 View Post
    I'm not saying cheat but you could always run windows in a virtual environment and continue to use pidgin/word/whatever in ubuntu.
    yep , you're totally right.
    virtual box run like a charm.You can install windows xp and your special browser, and use it only when you have online exams
    Unique Beautiful Unlimited New Trust Unix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

a lot of these special browser programs can detect when they are running within a virtual environment and will not install since they know that they cannot shutdown any programs outside the virtual environment.

Your best bet is to dual boot ubuntu and linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

When you run the custom browser, do you still have to go to a webpage to take the test? If so, you could try setting the user agent in firefox to the same as the lockdown browser, and then go to the test page yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

All one has to do is have a second computer next to them with which to cheat. Not that I condone cheating, but It just sort of makes the lock down browser technology seem silly.
    DT: Custom, Ubuntu 7.10 64bit, 2.4ghz c2d, 3gb ddr, nvidia 7950gt 512mb
    LT: Dell Vostro 1500, Ubuntu 8.04 64bit, 2.2ghz c2d, 4gb ddr2, nvidia 8600gt 256mb

Beans

I don't think he wanted to cheat, I just think he was upset with his school. But the virtualization idea is a good one. Better yet, try to run it in WINE!
    EDIT: You already tried WINE. Sorry. Man, I am having a bad day with this whole topic reading thing.
    Last edited by elmer_42; April 12th, 2008 at 10:02 PM.
    archlinux \\ amd+ati \\ subtle \\ website

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tempest View Post
    All one has to do is have a second computer next to them with which to cheat. Not that I condone cheating, but It just sort of makes the lock down browser technology seem silly.

i was thinking the same thing
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans

Wow as if most people don't have more than one computer to cheat on lol. I find that highly prejudice against low income people and their computer accessibility. Yes I think this program will probably work virtualized based on that assumption. Most colleges have a special place to go for testing though if you really wanted to show that you aren't cheating on things.

Is it like everyday assignments you go through this for? I never understood teachers who graded you on how many times you want to wipeout/crash before you understand something the more the BETTER! That's just standard safety in learning fail fail and fail some more until you've made all 3000 some ways how not to make a light bulb.

If your failing to send in stuff just say well heck I don't know what that program you gave me is doing its just not sending it in. Perhaps if I had the source or knew what it was doing it would be better oh.. but you don't like open source systems nvm then don't try holding me responsible. I once made the excuse using anything that wasn't formed with peer review is against my religion as an atheist but whatever you want to say.

In short might want to explain these problems to your teacher try to use some reverse psychology of how its not hard enough against cheating rather than lamenting on difficulties you have been having. I mean I'm glad ubuntu doesn't run really gay apps like that... And I mean your kinda smart person maybe they'll see it your way if not maybe just ditch the class and try to test out of it, they don't really seem to know what they're doing but like have some patience. I gave up on most college because either test out of the class, didn't have what I wanted to take, or seriously wasn't what I signed up for.
    Last edited by h4mx0r; April 12th, 2008 at 10:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Fortunately, all my tests I take have partial credit (which means it's still on paper and pencil ). If this were to happen at my school, you bet that some folks (including myself) would be busting out pitchforks and torches. In any case, I think your best workaround would be to just make a virtual machine with that software on there like many have suggested.
    Think before you type: If anybody asks you to type anything with rm -rf on the CLI, DO NOT do it! As a matter of fact, if you don't know what a set of commands will do, ask for clarification from other members.
    My home page: www.cyeungrun.com

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast