Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Edit PDF files and add highlighting and comments

Beans

Edit PDF files and add highlighting and comments

After a very long search, I finally found a full-featured program that allows me to edit PDF files.

Qoppa PDF Editor offers a lot of features including:

- add highlighting,
    - add comments,
    - crossout-text,
    - extract text embedded in the file,
    - scan to PDF (can scan and insert directly into a PDF document),
    - modify pages,
    - add or remove pages from a document,
    - add hyperlinks
    - and other etc. etc. features

The program is written in JAVA and there are versions for Linux, Mac and Windows so you can use the same program on WinXP and Linux if you are dual booting.

I tested it in my Ubuntu 7.10 and found all its features to be fully compatable with Adobe Acrobat -- when I created highligting or notes in Qoppa PDF Editor and then opened it inside Adobe Acrobat 7, all of the highlighting and notes were intact! Great! Perhaps more researchers and students can switch to Linux now that a good PDF tool that allows highlighting and comments is available!

Check out Qoppa Software at http://www.qoppa.com/psindex.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Edit PDF files and add highlighting and comments

thanks for the ADVERTISEMENT

and here is another

"
    Inkscape 0.46 Released!
    March 24, 2008 (Updated April 10, 2008)

The Inkscape community today is announcing the release of the newest version of its open source vector graphics editor. Inkscape 0.46 is a major update that introduces native PDF support. The implementation of PDF support in Inkscape provides an easy, open source solution to editing PDF documents.
    "
    http://www.inkscape.org/

Sorry to sound like I'm putting you down, but there is always an open source answer.
    -AKA SlickMcRunfast
    LXGC Game Night every Sunday. | AZLOCO

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Technophobia View Post
    thanks for the ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry to sound like I'm putting you down, but there is always an open source answer.
    I too am sorry if I sound off putting And thanks for the link.

As far as I can see Inkscape does absolutely not fill the gap. PDF studio, from a superficial view appears to be fill a need in linux, commecial or not.

Nice as it is Inkscape lets you import 1 (one) page at a time. And the imported page is meant for graphics editing not reading.

But sure. it's great to see the work being done in this area, and I imagine we're there soon. The pdf-format itself is open and a lot of implementations are trickeling out at the moment. The new Zend-framework lets you import pdf into webapps. Openoffice promises acrobat writer like features for version 3. And now Inkscapes new features.

There are those who are never going to need more than a reasonable pdf-reader (this could basically be any of the existing ones). I believe that's why all those references to apps that are essentially graphics apps but pretty useless as reading aids.

Others (like me, and probably the op), use the pdf-format intensively - 90% of what I read as part of my work is pdf-format. I used to make extensive use of the features in Acrobat Writer as part of my reading (annotation, comments, underlining, coloring etc.).
    As of yet nothing remotely equavalent exists in the Linux-OSS world.
    What comes closest is kpdf (well, sort of).

Beans

I'm a very big fan and supporter of open source software and have converted as many of my friends as possible. Unfortunately, regarding PDF editing tools for researchers who need to add highlighting and comments, I've found nothing better. I can only hope the open source community can provide a solution. I'll be glad to participate.

Beans

Thought it is possible to edit pdfs on open office? Wrong? I always create pdf with open office, thought if I can create it, I can edit it too?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by wouldya View Post
    Thought it is possible to edit pdfs on open office? Wrong? I always create pdf with open office, thought if I can create it, I can edit it too?
    They say that should be possible in Openoffice 3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Technophobia View Post
    Inkscape 0.46 Released!
    March 24, 2008 (Updated April 10, 2008)

The Inkscape community today is announcing the release of the newest version of its open source vector graphics editor. Inkscape 0.46 is a major update that introduces native PDF support. The implementation of PDF support in Inkscape provides an easy, open source solution to editing PDF documents.
    "
    http://www.inkscape.org/
    Thanks a lot for the tip! The pdf support works very nicely! Seems like I might finally be able to replace coreldraw!

Beans

hmm, Scribus, Inkscape, OpenOffice can all export to PDF's fine. Too bad we are still missing a dedicated editor .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRat33 View Post
    After a very long search, I finally found a full-featured program that allows me to edit PDF files.

Qoppa PDF Editor offers a lot of features including:

- add highlighting,
    - add comments,
    - crossout-text,
    - extract text embedded in the file,
    - scan to PDF (can scan and insert directly into a PDF document),
    - modify pages,
    - add or remove pages from a document,
    - add hyperlinks
    - and other etc. etc. features

The program is written in JAVA and there are versions for Linux, Mac and Windows so you can use the same program on WinXP and Linux if you are dual booting.

I tested it in my Ubuntu 7.10 and found all its features to be fully compatable with Adobe Acrobat -- when I created highligting or notes in Qoppa PDF Editor and then opened it inside Adobe Acrobat 7, all of the highlighting and notes were intact! Great! Perhaps more researchers and students can switch to Linux now that a good PDF tool that allows highlighting and comments is available!

Check out Qoppa Software at http://www.qoppa.com/psindex.html
    As much as I'd like to have a highlighting feature for my pdf viewer, I'm not going to pay for software nor pirate it. Thanks for the shoutout, though.

Beans

Others (like me, and probably the op), use the pdf-format intensively - 90% of what I read as part of my work is pdf-format. I used to make extensive use of the features in Acrobat Writer as part of my reading (annotation, comments, underlining, coloring etc.).
    As of yet nothing remotely equavalent exists in the Linux-OSS world.
    What comes closest is kpdf (well, sort of).[/QUOTE]

I've been waiting for this feature for a while and I simply don't understand why ADOBE doesn't release this. I mean it makes complete sense if the PDF format is the standard for this type of thing, Basic ability to highlight or underline, and add comments should be default.

Anyway I was doing a research paper today and trolling through a sea of PDF's rather pissed that no options are available for Linux (Mac's have one! go figure) and I decided to see how foxit was again. The version I downloaded was their latest windows version, and I ran it using WINE and it worked very well. I know it's kind of sloppy, but according to them, the Linux client only is for Fedora, or Suse I think.... anyway run it in Wine and use the windows version until someone creates it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast