View Poll Results: Who is an default User, who likes to customize?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like the default way.

27 13.71%
  • I like to customize.

170 86.29%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is an default User, who likes to customize?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Who is an default User, who likes to customize?

Since I am running Ubuntu on the Everex Cloudbook and only have a seven inch screen, I've customized the desktop to maximize screen space-- A compact theme for Firefox, Metacity themes without thick borders, a single carefully set-up panel, etc... And all this without sacrificing good looks!

My little lappy shipped with gOS-- The default gOS theme is a waste of my little screen space if you ask me. First thing I did was disable AWN and add its functionality to my ONE panel.

Of course, with a larger screen, I may have kept it. That's the beauty of Linux, though-- very adaptable to virtually any device.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I guess you could call me a default user. I have tried AWN and compiz and while fun in the end I return to pretty much the default. Compiz seems to slow down my comp and I really don't know what each plugins and settings do so I end up screwing things up ( I have tried to find docs on it but couldn't). AWN was fun but at the time not very stable so things again screwed up.

I pretty much add things to my panels and increase fonts size because of my eyesight. But thats pretty much it. It would be nice to be able to change font colour for the panels.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
    characteristic of the default user (my definition):

-> uses Ubuntu with GNOME
    -> didn't use 3D Desktop effects
    -> didn't modify the Desktop or System in a way that takes more then 3 Minutes, except for installing drivers
    I looked at KDE when KDE4 came out and decided I preferred the intuitiveness of GNOME

3D desktop effects irritate me.

I've looked at several themes but keep coming back to the Human theme (with a Betty Page background)

So that makes me a default user

*shrugs*
    Be very wary of any command with sudo in it. Read this for more information and check this to make sure you do know what you're doing.

Random acts of bloggery | Twitter | Identi.ca

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ExpatPaul View Post

I've looked at several themes but keep coming back to the Human theme (with a Betty Page background)

Now theres an idea for a wallpaper prolly the most beautiful woman of all time.

I'm about as far from default as I can get, currently going further and further.

When I used ubuntu/xubuntu they were stripped of all the bloat and tweaked/customised.

On arch the default is cli even my cli is customised, all apps I use are customised away from default too.

I need help lol.
    Last edited by Breakage; April 12th, 2008 at 11:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Pretty much default Mandriva KDE. I like Mandriva's themes. I do change a couple KDE settings, middle click to close konqueror tab, turn off konqueror access keys, etc.

Beans
    Hidden!

Arrow Re: Who is an default User, who likes to customize?

When this poll results are representative, than

It'd would mean that Ubuntu users are mostly tweakers - it starts with not choosing Ubuntu and ends somewhere in a complete new Distro.

Well I'm in the minority to choosing Ubuntu over XP, and inside this minority, I'm in the minority to not customizing it.

Isn't that not a problem? I mean you tweak to make it cool, but isn't it cool enough anyway?

When i see all the compiz videos it's seems to me that coolness is the #1 issue in Ubuntu.

Well my reasons are others: a better filesystem, no registration, no trusted computing, no viruses so far.

But good to see that there are actually others who go the way it's meant to be.

When this poll results are representative, than

It'd would mean that Ubuntu users are mostly tweakers - it starts with not choosing Ubuntu and ends somewhere in a complete new Distro.

Well I'm in the minority to choosing Ubuntu over XP, and inside this minority, I'm in the minority to not customizing it.

Isn't that not a problem? I mean you tweak to make it cool, but isn't it cool enough anyway?

When i see all the compiz videos it's seems to me that coolness is the #1 issue in Ubuntu.

Well my reasons are others: a better filesystem, no registration, no trusted computing, no viruses so far.

I suppose ubuntu is a great distro for introducing people to linux, linux is not all about compiz fusion.

Although a lot of new users do install linux for it, I do use fusion when im in xfce with it made to look very minimal so it doesn't get in the away. But im not always in xfce I use other wm's a lot.
    Fusion runs very very very smooth on my pc so why not actually make that graphics card i have useful in linux for things other than a higher res and smoother video performance.

If there was no compiz fusion then I 100% would still be linux as it was not the thing that attracted me to it, I actually found out about compiz after I installed linux. peoples perceptions of cool differs.

And yeah the default look & feel of Ubuntu is pretty sweet, but some people just don't like the brown & orange combo. I do.

Also customising linux or ubuntu, does not mean installing compiz fusion.
    Last edited by Breakage; April 13th, 2008 at 06:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I would rather hazard to say the most of the voters here are tweakers, as a generalization or extrapolation to the entire Ubuntu user base might not be precise.

I might not have understood what you meant, but a distro is much more than just the interface and how it is configured, just look at the package database.

Even though I see where you go here, I would not say there is a certain "way meant to be"
    That is because Linux offers us the freedom to configure i as it suits us best. Different people have different tastes and styles and there is nothing wrong with the way one might choose to configure the graphical interface.
    Say NO to software patents in the European Union!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: Who is an default User, who likes to customize?

Since I like my interface to be simple and minimal, I often just stick with the default GNOME setup, and usually only customize things like icon sets and colors. I'm not really into complete customization, as I find that most of the time, a lot of user-made themes aren't practical enough for everyday use. Same goes with the 3d effects. There are a few useful ones, but I find most to be just eye candy.
    Registered Linux User #438830 | Registered Ubuntu User #10897

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast