Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: why doesn't everyone use a tiling window manager?

Beans

Re: why doesn't everyone use a tiling window manager?

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    why doesn't everyone use a tiling window manager?
    Because not all of us like them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    I'm game. What do you recommend?
    i think dwm is maybe the simplest. wmii is the parent of dwm, has more code, but is more configurable. awesome and xmonad aren't in the repos. shearn89 has a nice howto on awesome and i found a howto for xmonad, but it's a giant pain in the butt and i don't like it that much.

more tiling fun - http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/inspiration.html (it's actually more anti-mouse than pro-tiling)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Just install wmii, I am hooked.

Thanks fuscia, I was looking for something like this, but didn't know it already existed.
    i'm betting you'll never go back.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Luffield View Post
    It's possible to do it with Compiz 0.7.4. It's called Maximumize. Very handy.
    well, any window manager can maximize an app. tiling is well beyond that. also, a lot of the tiling window managers can switch to 'float' mode in which they behave as the standard window managers do.

i'm not sure i get the 'ugly' comments. attached is a screenshot of awesome wm with the status bar hidden (it appearance is greatly configurable, but i'm new to awesome). as you can see, it's just a wallpaper (maybe you don't like yellow, though?). opened apps just look like opened apps. which tiling wm's have you guys used (ion3, i'm betting)?

edit: whoa! sorry for the triple post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i realize this could boil over into a massive flame war (assuming it doesn't end up in an 'unanswered posts' search), so let's keep it civil.
    WHAT - YOU INCREDIBLE ...

(just joking)

My screens at home (where I use Linux) are tiny (1024*768-ish), and my documents aren't. I would not even look at a tiling window manager. Most of the time, I just use all of the screen for the application I am working in. I am very grateful for the virtual desktops.

I did use some applications which tiled quite nicely, but that was back when I still wrote programs.

Good to know, though, that there are decent tiling windows managers. Thanks for the tip, Chucksia.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans

well, any window manager can maximize an app. tiling is well beyond that. also, a lot of the tiling window managers can switch to 'float' mode in which they behave as the standard window managers do.

i'm not sure i get the 'ugly' comments. attached is a screenshot of awesome wm with the status bar hidden (it appearance is greatly configurable, but i'm new to awesome). as you can see, it's just a wallpaper (maybe you don't like yellow, though?). opened apps just look like opened apps. which tiling wm's have you guys used (ion3, i'm betting)?

edit: whoa! sorry for the triple post.
    Each to their own. Its not for me though.
    Hmmm...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck
    Maximumize != maximize. It actually does (primitive) tiling.

Beans

I used to use tilers, but I got bored with them. Or maybe I realized that I never need multiple apps/windows open on one screen at the same time. I tend to fullscreen applications that I use instead and I find that openbox with its ToggleFullscreen, ToggleMaximizeFull and ToggleDecorations actions is the most convenient choice for me. Also, alt tabbing still seems the most natural way to switch between apps when I need to do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Chucky,
    what are the benefits of using a tiling wmanager over a desktop one?

I'm curious, i'm gonna try it tonigh
    Ubuntu Printer Support | Restricted Formats
    KDE 4.4 is amazing!
    I'm learning Ruby yay!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by piousp View Post
    Chucky,
    what are the benefits of using a tiling wmanager over a desktop one?
    Effeciency it seems (only after a few minutes, I found wmii to be better than what I used before)

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast