View Poll Results: Which machine will be compromised last?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • VAIO VGN-TZ37CN running Ubuntu 7.10

123 72.35%
  • Fujitsu U810 running Vista Ultimate SP1

13 7.65%
  • MacBook Air running OSX 10.5.2

21 12.35%
  • Dunno

13 7.65%
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu machine uncracked

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: PWN 2 OWN Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateVoid View Post
    Ubuntu, with standard config, would not have a root account enabled with a password, but the account would have SUDO rights. In practice this is very similar to how Vista UAC works.
    Well, sort of. In Vista, however, the default configuration uses an administrative account. If that is left as is, UAC warnings will pop up, but will not require any kind of password authentication.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    Well, sort of. In Vista, however, the default configuration uses an administrative account. If that is left as is, UAC warnings will pop up, but will not require any kind of password authentication.
    True... so you have to hit ok, vs. putting in your password again. Though if you use the non-default user you will need to put in the password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The Safari hack was based on getting someone to click on a link though, so it was a PEBUAK.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Last time they did something like this it was with just Mac OSX. It took thirty minuites.
    Vista will go down in a matter of minuites, if you can get it to connect to anything.
    I think OSX will still be roughly what it was last time.
    Ubuntu... IDK. I'm curious about this one. All holes are well known as it is open source, but as a result of open source they are all quickly fixed.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zmjjmz View Post
    The Safari hack was based on getting someone to click on a link though, so it was a PEBUAK.
    Maybe, maybe not. Remember that 'crackers' can setup legitimate looking websites... or even 'crack' a legitimate website replacing the sites pages with their own code. I would not give immediately assume that the hack requires 'stupid user' to work.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tubasoldier View Post
    L
    Vista will go down in a matter of minuites, if you can get it to connect to anything.

You have issues getting Vista to connect to things?

Beans
    Distro

I dunno. Each OS is only as secure as the software it runs. If we were talking about Windows XP, I'd say that would go down first. And out of the remaining choices, Mac OS X would probably win it due to security by obscurity, whereas Ubuntu's source code is visible to all, and an exploit can be found without any trial and error.

But we're talking about Vista, not XP. Say what you want about Vista, but Microsoft put an incredible amount of resources into making it a more secure OS. So with that in mind, I think Ubuntu would be exploited first (again, due to visible source code). However, I do not know who the victor would be.

As a tangent, while I believe Ubuntu is most vulnerable to zero-day exploits, it is also most secure in terms of turning around and patching those exploits (once again, due to the open source nature of the code).
    Last edited by aaaantoine; March 28th, 2008 at 04:30 PM.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans
    Distro

Oh, of course I guessed wrong...

Congratulations to our first winner of the CanSecWest PWN to OWN contest! At 12:38pm local time, the team of Charlie Miller, Jake Honoroff, and Mark Daniel from Independent Security Evaluators have successfully compromised the Apple MacBook Air, winning the laptop and $10,000 from TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative. They were able to exploit a brand new 0day vulnerability in Apple's Safari web browser.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ElReg readers are having a field day slagging off Mac fanboys who all said that the Mac would be the last to fall....

Now they are saying itfell first because it's so desirable! (Yeh Right....)
    Laters...
    Sol
    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere" User numbers: Ubuntu 23772 Linux 477911

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by solitaire View Post
    Now they are saying itfell first because it's so desirable! (Yeh Right....)
    that might be a good reason if there wasn't $10,000 as well. It fell first because it was the easiest target.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast