Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Make festival TTS use better voices (MBROLA / CMU / HTS)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: Make festival TTS use better voices (MBROLA / CMU / HTS)

After using your post to setup and configure all the voices I really appreciate the effort it must have taken to compile it all.

After using festival for a while I created a shell script (bash) to automatically convert doc, txt, rtf, pdf, ps, chm, html, and even direct URLs into almost any type of audio file (wav/ogg/mp3/etc) using festival with the voice you chose.

The script is GPL and I posted it along with instructions at my site: http://taggedzi.com/text2audio.php

Hopefully this is the right place to post this, as it ties in and I am not sure if it should be a post of it's own.

Well enjoy and happy text to speeching!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Make festival TTS use better voices (MBROLA / CMU / HTS)

After searching for a long time on how to get festivak to work I found this howto

All is working great, but as I want to use the Dutch language I downloaded and installed the Dutch languages.
    wget -c http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbr...nl1-980609.zip
    wget -c http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbr...nl2-990507.zip
    wget -c http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbr...nl3-001013.zip

unzip -x nl1-980609.zip
    unzip -x nl2-990507.zip
    unzip -x nl3-001013.zip

sudo mkdir -p /usr/share/festival/voices/dutch/nl1_mbrola/
    sudo mkdir -p /usr/share/festival/voices/dutch/nl2_mbrola/
    sudo mkdir -p /usr/share/festival/voices/dutch/nl3_mbrola/

sudo mv nl1 /usr/share/festival/voices/dutch/nl1_mbrola/
    sudo mv nl2 /usr/share/festival/voices/dutch/nl2_mbrola/
    sudo mv nl3 /usr/share/festival/voices/dutch/nl3_mbrola/
    Now when I start festival, and try to set the Dutch language I get the following error.
    festival> (voice_nl1_mbrola)
    SIOD ERROR: could not open file /usr/share/festival/voices/dutch/nl1_mbrola/festvox/nl1_mbrola.scm
    Looking at the /usr/share/festival/voices/dutch/nl1_mbrola directory I can see that festvox is missing. (this is obvious as I did not download it)
    So going to the www.festvox.org site, I do not see the needed files for the Dutch language

Anyone here who might know how I can get Dutch to work?

Thank you.

Beans

To MonkeeSage I just wanted to say thank you for creating one of the best tutorials I've ever needed to use. You're a lifesaver and I for one am extremely thankful for you efforts. Thanks.
    come

To tagger your script is the perfect compliment to this guide and I really appreciate what you've done as well. Thanks.

The community needs more contributors like the two of you. Hats off gents, well done

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I installed the nitech voices and I am loving them. It's just that, they only work with the use of ktts for me. I am on Intrepid now. For me to let it be used for festival on the command line, I have to run (voice_nitech_us_awb_arctic_hts) first.

Whenever I run festival on the command line, I get
    Code:
    festival

WARNING
    No default voice found in ("/usr/share/festival/voices/")
    either no voices unpacked or voice-path is wrong
    Scheme interpreter will work, but there is no voice to speak with.
    WARNING

Festival Speech Synthesis System 1.96:beta July 2004
    Copyright (C) University of Edinburgh, 1996-2004. All rights reserved.
    For details type `(festival_warranty)'
    How do I set a default voice?
    MacBook Air 3,1 128gb | Fujitsu Esprimo U9200 | Google Nexus One

Pinoy ka ba? | Google Profile | Twitter: @AllanCaeg| Identi.ca: allancaeg

Beans

@resize:

I'm not sure where to get the festvox wrapper for the MBROLA nl1 voice. Google didn't turn up anything helpful either. Sorry.

@wersdaluv:

Try adding "(set! default_voice 'voice_nitech_us_awb_arctic_hts)" to /etc/festival.scm.
    [People] are usually satisfied with bad argument only when their convictions rest on other grounds. (John Oman, Grace and Personality [New York: Macmillan, 1925], p. 38).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tabarin View Post
    I have a question about the output quality of the nitech HTS voices, I got and installed the latest 2.1 voices just today but I noticed that they have a very "buzzy" quality when they're output and when I hear them on Edinburgh server they don't have this problem (http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/fe...nlinedemo.html). Its almost as if the "STRAIGHT vocoder" described in the "An Overview of Nitech HMM-based Speech Synthesis System for Blizzard Challenge 2005" paper is not functioning. Am I missing something or perhaps I should try to build the entire system from scratch using the sources?

Edit: Here are some audio examples so you can hear the problem that I'm talking about.
    Using the Nitech SLT voice from the online demo I get:
    http://www.arondennen.com/files/onlineSLT.wav
    which is how I would like my system to sound.

However when using the 2.1 version of the Nitech SLT voice on my system I get this buzzy output:
    http://www.arondennen.com/files/problematicSLT.wav
    I'm also curious about this, as I experience the same problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jivy View Post
    I'm also curious about this, as I experience the same problem. Anyone have any ideas?
    I have no idea about the buzzing. You can tweak the speed, frequencies (probably too much low frequency in the output), and other parameters of the voice synthesis; but it's rather convoluted and involved. The defaults should produce a good synthesis though (see the test pages for the voices given in the HOWTO). So I'm not sure what the problem is.

My only guess is to try installing the patch listed in the the "Installing Festival 1.96 from source" section. Save this file as /tmp/lib_hts.scm.diff. Then, from a terminal, run:

Code:
    cd /usr/share/festival
    sudo patch -p2 -i /tmp/lib_hts.scm.diff
    [People] are usually satisfied with bad argument only when their convictions rest on other grounds. (John Oman, Grace and Personality [New York: Macmillan, 1925], p. 38).

Beans

Is this guide leading me to, after all those procedures, have the chance of installing a few french speech bases?

Beans

Hi, I'm having festival 1.4.3 on my gutsy gibon and I'm trying to install a cmu voice http://www.festvox.org/packed/voices...nits16k.tar.gz (luckily I'v found it)
    as you said in this tut, I have already upacked, copied and created dir /usr/share/festival/voices/croatian/cmu_cr_tp_clunits, and /etc/festival.scm with line

Code:
    ;;(set! voice_default 'voice_cmu_cr_tp_clunits)
    When is that line uncomment festival output is :

sasa@sasa-laptop:~$ festival
    SIOD ERROR: could not open file /usr/lib/festival/../src/modules/clunits/acost.scm
    closing a file left open: /usr/share/festival/voices/croatian/cmu_cr_tp_clunits/festvox/cmu_cr_tp_clunits.scm
    closing a file left open: /usr/share/festival/init.scm
    festival: fatal error exiting.
    Can you suggest me anything what else to do to make this voice usable.
    thanks in advance, sasa.

[edit]

same thing with new compiled version
    Last edited by sashko; January 27th, 2009 at 01:18 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sashko View Post
    Hi, I'm having festival 1.4.3 on my gutsy gibon and I'm trying to install a cmu voice http://www.festvox.org/packed/voices...nits16k.tar.gz (luckily I'v found it)
    as you said in this tut, I have already upacked, copied and created dir /usr/share/festival/voices/croatian/cmu_cr_tp_clunits, and /etc/festival.scm with line

Code:
    ;;(set! voice_default 'voice_cmu_cr_tp_clunits)
    When is that line uncomment festival output is :

Can you suggest me anything what else to do to make this voice usable.
    thanks in advance, sasa.

[edit]

same thing with new compiled version
    Sorry for the delay. I'll try to have a look at this over the weekend.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast