Thread: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers on Ubuntu Breezy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Quote Originally Posted by comradevik
    Please help me
    i have dual monitor set up
    how do i get xinerama working.. all my fullscreen applications except movies open onto both screens when i want them to open on one of the screens only
    I can't help you with that (I have only 1 monitor)

Beans

Ok, found out my issue. The 7676 driver was crashing the system above 1600x1200 on the Nvidia 7800 card. Using the correct modelines fixed it.

I should of tried a lower resolution to test, stupid stupid...

Modelines for 24 inch Dell LCD 2405.

Option "HorizSync" "30-81"
    Option "VertRefresh" "56-76"
    Option "MetaModes" "1920x1200"
    Modeline "1920x1200" 161.75 1920 2020 2052 2184 1200 1202 1208 1235 -hsync -vsync
    Modeline "1920x1200" 154.128 1920 1968 2000 2080 1200 1203 1209 1235 -hsync -vsync

So, might want to add this to some FAQ, I've seen the same issue on many boards..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by comradevik
    Please help me
    i have dual monitor set up
    how do i get xinerama working.. all my fullscreen applications except movies open onto both screens when i want them to open on one of the screens only
    This is a function of Xinerama, depending on how your setup is you can do a number of things.

Try adding Option Xinerama "off" in the Screen section. This should allow the window manager to understand that there are two monitors and applications should maximize to only one screen. However, you will only see the panels on one screen instead of spanned across both.

If this does not give you the desired results, please post your xorg.conf and I'll take a look.

Beans

Xinerama by default clones your first screen to the second screen. Disable Xinerama and it should work.

Another question:

Anyone who may got working a double frame buffer for nVidia driver in order to have 2 desktops running and sharing the memory of the single graphiccard?

As posted a few posts before I'm trying to get this done, but until now I was only able to enable my second monitor by using the nvidia driver build in configuration options shown below.

Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Videocard0"
            Driver      "nvidia"
            VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
            BoardName   "NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX"
            BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
            # advanced options
            Option      "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "31.5-64.3"
            Option      "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60-75"
            Option      "TwinView" "true"
            Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT-0, CRT-1"
            Option      "MetaModes" "CRT-0:1280x1024, CRT-1:1280x1024"
            Option      "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
            # xinerama running or not, the second screen works fine :-)
            Option      "Xinerama" "on"
    EndSection
    theoretically it should be possible to declare 2 videodevices, each of them pointing to the same device but different output channels. most ati cards have to be configurated as such.

really kewl would it be if it was possible to just tell the x server by a code like
    Code:
    Option "TwinViewOrientation" "dualbuffer"
    that there are 2 different screens and he has to load 2 independent desktops. would be an idea to send to nvidia's driver developers

awaiting your ideas

Beans

I just tried Shabba's install method on an Nvidia 5700 Ultra. Worked pretty good except that it did not recognize the "sudo nvidia-glx-config-enable" command
    and it confused me when the nano opened up both the new and the backup version of "xorg.conf". He probably just wanted to make a new backup before the mod. But hey, I just got ubuntu yesterday, and I finally have a working video card! Thanks so much all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Kloschüssel
    Xinerama by default clones your first screen to the second screen. Disable Xinerama and it should work.

Another question:

Anyone who may got working a double frame buffer for nVidia driver in order to have 2 desktops running and sharing the memory of the single graphiccard?

As posted a few posts before I'm trying to get this done, but until now I was only able to enable my second monitor by using the nvidia driver build in configuration options shown below.

Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Videocard0"
            Driver      "nvidia"
            VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
            BoardName   "NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX"
            BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
            # advanced options
            Option      "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "31.5-64.3"
            Option      "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60-75"
            Option      "TwinView" "true"
            Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT-0, CRT-1"
            Option      "MetaModes" "CRT-0:1280x1024, CRT-1:1280x1024"
            Option      "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
            # xinerama running or not, the second screen works fine :-)
            Option      "Xinerama" "on"
    EndSection
    theoretically it should be possible to declare 2 videodevices, each of them pointing to the same device but different output channels. most ati cards have to be configurated as such.

really kewl would it be if it was possible to just tell the x server by a code like
    Code:
    Option "TwinViewOrientation" "dualbuffer"
    that there are 2 different screens and he has to load 2 independent desktops. would be an idea to send to nvidia's driver developers

awaiting your ideas
    I think you should ask in the Unofficial Nvidia forum, the developers of the driver (and some Linux geeks) can help you there:
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

From my humble knowledge, TwinView and Xinerama are two totally separate things. TwinView is a function of the nVidia Driver and Xinerama is an extention to X.

The line you show in your Device section "Option Xinerama on" is not a vaild Option for the Device, that line should be under the ServerLayout section to control X. See http://www.ublug.org/nvidia/twinview...ce-options.txt for the valid options.

The only valid option for the Device about Xinerama is:
    Option "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo" "boolean"

This option will turn on and off Xinerama Info being sent back to X to then be delivered to the Window Manager.

From what I understand, you can place any of the Device options under either the Device or ServerLayout section ( I like to put them where they control because it's easier for me to keep track of them), but a ServerLayout only option cannot go under Device.

The option Xinerama on in the ServerLayout section would give you a desktop that spans the entire MetaMode ie 2560x1024 on two monitors @1280x1024 with a top panel with a Main Menu on the Left (by default) and the clock on the second monitor on the right, with the taskbar all the way across the bottom and if you maximize an application it will span across both monitors. This is of course assuming your TwinViewOrientation is anything but clone.

Having NoTwinViewXineramaInfo off (0, false, no) or not there at all would return Xinerama info from the Device back to the Window Manager and allow the Window Manager to interpret the info as it sees fit. If the ServerLayout section has Xinerama off and TwinViewOrientation is not clone there will be two 1280x1024 areas joined together and allow you to maximize an application to just one monitor and have the top and bottom panels on the first monitor only. When a new application is opened it will go to the 1280x1024 area not in use and apps can be dragged back and forth.

There are of course many, many exceptions to this, you can mix and match the Options to get any combination of results, these are just the most commonly used.

Once again, this is my limited knowledge and understanding, Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

tseliot, just wondering.

Section "Device"
    Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500]"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
    Option "RenderAccel" "true"
    Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP,TV"
    Option "NoRenderExtension" "Off"
    Option "Accel" "Offnvidia"
    Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    EndSection

as you see 'BusID' is "PCI:2:0:0" is that ok even though I have only one pci slot for my nvidia card??
    maybe dumb question.

Beans

It's ok, it's just the number given to the slot your card is plugged into by the system.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    It's ok, it's just the number given to the slot your card is plugged into by the system.
    thank you!!

Page 27 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast