Thread: How do I get my gamepad to work?

Beans

How do I get my gamepad to work?

My gamepad, and I have gotten two of them now, inspite of calibrations done from the control center, and after having installed and ran{executed} jscalibrator, joystick, libjsw, etc, the gamepads do not work. One is a Saitek p880 and the other is some USB gamepad; In the control center, the devices are recognized per their models accurately, it calls the as /dev/js0 and /dev/js1. I saw that I also had /dev/input/js1 up to /dev/input/js4.

How do I get my gamepad to work? I have done calibration from both control center and by running the jscalibrator executable. It says calibration completed. All I did was click a button whenever a prompt came up. I did not actually do any axis movements or moving of the analog D-pads, etc.
    Even tuxracer does not work, nor does anything else get controlled by the gamepad. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: How do I get my gamepad to work?

I have Sega Megadrive-like usb gampad and it worked "out-of-the-box", no installation were required.

In which games are you trying to use your gamepad?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have a Nyko Air Flo EX and it worked out of the box, no config necessary. I use it for zsnes and a few other games with no hitches.

I play planet penguin racer with it just fine, i haven't tried the classic tuxracer though, so maybe its just a problem with that specific game?
    Last edited by dcarpenter; October 13th, 2005 at 05:16 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by kazuya
    My gamepad, and I have gotten two of them now, inspite of calibrations done from the control center, and after having installed and ran{executed} jscalibrator, joystick, libjsw, etc, the gamepads do not work. One is a Saitek p880 and the other is some USB gamepad; In the control center, the devices are recognized per their models accurately, it calls the as /dev/js0 and /dev/js1. I saw that I also had /dev/input/js1 up to /dev/input/js4.

How do I get my gamepad to work? I have done calibration from both control center and by running the jscalibrator executable. It says calibration completed. All I did was click a button whenever a prompt came up. I did not actually do any axis movements or moving of the analog D-pads, etc.
    Even tuxracer does not work, nor does anything else get controlled by the gamepad. Any ideas?
    I used to have a p880, and I had success with it, but after a while it just died on me. Now of course I have the Logitech Rumblepad and it works like a charm, out of the box, no conf nessecary.

Beans

Wink Re: How do I get my gamepad to work?

my gravis gamepad is working like a charm also , just after loading required modules :

sudo modprobe joydev
    sudo modprobe emu10k1-gp
    sudo modprobe analog
    sudo modprobe grip

some time after reboot i've to re create the dev stuff :

sudo rm -f /dev/input/js0
    sudo rm -f /dev/js0
    sudo mknod /dev/input/js0 c 13 0
    sudo ln -s /dev/input/js0 /dev/js0

Anyway it's ok after that !

Beans

Dunno if this helps but my system completely ignores jscalibrator, i have to use jscal in a terminal for it to work. Shame cos jscalibrator has configurable deadzone settings and jscal doesnt seem to have them.

Beans

awesome tips guys. I would try that out. so saitek p880, is not durable?
    I guess I have to return this thing then.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had gotten that pad to work alright in breezy, now i'm in dapper and there's no worky.