Thread: description of the 64-bit PC (AMD64) CD

Beans

description of the 64-bit PC (AMD64) CD

My issue is the description of the 64-bit PC (AMD64) CD (e.g. http://se.releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/5.10/) :

For computers based on the AMD64 or EM64T architecture (e.g., Athlon64, Opteron, EM64T Xeon). It is not necessary for all (even most) processors made by AMD -- only their 64 bit chips.

The last sentence states 'It is necessary for AMD's 64 bit chips'. This is not correct, many of AMD's 64 bit chips are designed to work just as well with a 32 bit OS.

I propose:

This is a 64 bit operating system wich can be installed only on computers based on the AMD64 or EM64T architecture (e.g., Athlon64, Opteron, EM64T Xeon). Note that many of AMD's 64 bit chips are designed to work just as well with a 32 bit OS like that on the PC (Intel x86) install CD.

Perhaps a warning about the availability of 64 bit drivers should be added.

I didnt know where to put this comment, so I put it here were it is harmless and easily buried between other posts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: description of the 64-bit PC (AMD64) CD

I agree, but would go further. To say that "many of AMD's 64 bit chips are designed to work just as well with a 32 bit OS" implies that some aren't. As far as I know, that's not true -- ALL of their chips will work with a 32-bit OS. ("Just as well" is another matter -- AMD's 64-bit extensions do give a boost to a 64-bit OS. But that applies equally to all their 64-bit-capable chips, as far as I know.)

Beans

I tried 64 bit Ubuntu but felt the lack of certain programs and driver issues just were too much too handle at the time. 32 bit Ubuntu rocks on a 64 bit chip so when programmers and developers get all those issues resolved, I bet 64 bit will light my fire.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans

@ wmcbrine: As far as I know you are right. However, there may be 64 bit chips I am not familiar with (now or in the near future), e.g. chips intended for servers.

@mstlyevil: That is why there should be a disclaimer about the availability of 64 bit drivers. I soppose that the situation improved with Breezy, but do not know to what extend.

Edit: Congratulations with the finalization of Breezy to the developers

@ Pablo_Escobar; I agree that support for 64 bit is an excellent idea.
    Last edited by yesplease; October 13th, 2005 at 12:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

If we don't support 64bit (and stick to 32bit OS while running 64bit processors) we won't put enough pressure on such companies like Macromedia.
    That's why from tommorow (when I install Breezy 64) I'm a 64bit OS user
    AMD64 3000+, 512MB DDR, 120GB SATA, RADEON 9550 @ Linux
    I'm still expanding my Linux knowledge and I'm enjoying every minute of it =D>