Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is this an insult?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How is this an insult?

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    It is not any of your business to label another member of this forums as troubled or disturbed -- this is clear-cut against the forum policies. Please cease this line of discussion immediately.
    I was just talking about what happened. Isn't that what the Resolution Center is for? I didn't even mention any forum member’s names.

So I get one infraction for the insult and one infraction for trying to appeal the infraction?

Beans

The second infraction was not for this. It was for opening another thread to challenge this in the Forum and to continue your insult of the member.

Our patience is not with out limit.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It can be inferred who your comments were directed towards, and if he were reading this thread, it is even more frustrating because it is against the rules for him to respond.

But at any rate, that is not relevant to the original infraction -- the infraction was for insulting another member, and your post, whether you intended or not, was insulting to that person.

The second infraction was issued because you completely failed to take in the explanation and went forth to take your original statement even further.

Do you still fail to see how your original post can easily be taken offensively?
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

No I don't see how my original statement can be taken offensively. It was not offensive to begin with...

And what was wrong with my other post? Was it too offensive? I know you guys are having fun with this and honestly I am too but is there anything you guys don't take offense to? I can't believe I have gotten away with as many posts as I have without offending you before this.

So any statement I choose to take offense to automatically becomes an offensive statement?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    No I don't see how my original statement can be taken offensively. It was not offensive to begin with...
    Calling someone else troubled and disturbed is not offensive?

And what was wrong with my other post? Was it too offensive?
    Even if you didn't think it was offensive, if you were told by the forum staff that it was offensive, why would you restate it again?

I know you guys are having fun with this and honestly I am too
    Who's having fun? I'm sure not. I'm pretty sure KiwiNZ isn't finding this fun either.

So any statement I choose to take offense to automatically becomes an offensive statement?
    If someone said that you were disturbed and troubled, we would take that as a direct insult in the same way we are handling this event.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I didn't say he WAS troubled. I said he SEEMED troubled. There is a difference between the two.

Either way I can tell I have hit the wall with this so I am just going to get on with my life. But for the record there was no intention of insult, disrespect or any deformation of character. Anything deemed insulting about my statements is purely the result of their interpretation; not their intention.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The distinction really isn't as great as you seem to think it is. At any rate, I am also disinterested in arguing this any further. Let's just all move along from this, and remember in the future to pay closer attention to the wording of your posts when saying something about someone in particular?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think that we should make clear a few things:
    • Even though the Resolution Center is the proper place to appeal infractions, sometimes the staff just doesn't buy your reasoning and is basically saying "Hey, this is the way it is. Stop arguing." Other times, arguments are appropriate. In the case of a user pleading ignorance on what's offensive or not, the staff ultimately make the call.
    • Despite some people's assertions to the contrary, not everything can be insulting. I know that if I say, "Thanks to everyone for helping me fix my wireless problem. Now I can finally use Ubuntu!" virtually no one will be insulted by the remark. If, however, I say, "What the hell is wrong with you people? Can't you see Windows is for intelligent people, and Ubuntu is for losers?" that a lot of people will be offended. Although there are some lines where it's a little blurry, the whole reason language works is a general consensus on what sentences mean, and people know in advance, for the most part, what will offend and what will not offend.
    • As hinted at in the last point, there are some blurry lines, especially on the internet, where written text doesn't always carry the inflections spoken words do, and where there are people from different cultures and subcultures, attaching various nuances to the same word or phrase. Where the line is blurry, you would best avoid infractions and warnings by erring on the side of what is least offensive or directly insulting to others.
    • Be aware that just because you are thick-skinned, others are not necessarily as insensitive to insults. There can be a difference between intent and impact. If the user you insulted is insulted, other users are reporting your post as insulting, and several staff members agree your post is insulting, then, for all intents and purposes on these forums, your post is insulting, even if you didn't mean it to be.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12