Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who is Sponsoring the Work? Where are you, Canonical?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Who is Sponsoring the Work? Where are you, Canonical?

I'm not sure what's the issue here you're trying to get at, fiestybird. Explain?

Beans

Ubuntu is a Super Star of Linux world.

I hope Canonical can contribute something back to the upstream like what Redhat, Opensuse and all other major distros does!

As uncle Ben said, "With great power comes great responsibility."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu is. It's getting more people to Linux. More people on Linux means more bugs reports, more feature requests, better support.

Is that not good enough? I think everybody should do what they're best at. Ubuntu apparently is way better at getting new people in, while other distros are better at writing code.

I don't see anything wrong with actually focusing on something, and not doing everything at once and accomplishing nothing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi
    More people on Linux means more bugs reports, more feature requests, better support.
    Not necessarily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

what Ubuntu does is making Debian marketable, and marketing it succesfully.
    What Canonical does is making sure that Ubuntu can do what it does, i.e. marketing Debian, and facilitating that process.

Software derived from Free Software remains free. So even if Ubuntu and/or Canonical devs wouldn't inject their work back into Debian or upstram development, Debian or any upstream project that see something they like in Ubuntu (a cool feature, a bug suddenly gone, a nice integration effort, ...) can just come and look how they did it, and copy it if they like.

Besides that the Debian community can happily continue building their software (which they do very well) and conform to their rather strict quality requirements and free software quidelines while Ubuntu, with roughly the same code, caters for the masses, and experiments with solutions that would be rather difficult inside debian (inclusion of not-so-free software, binary blobs, ...)

Looks like a good deal to all involved, so whats with the "With great power comes great responsibility"-attitude ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by koenn View Post
    Looks like a good deal to all involved, so whats with the "With great power comes great responsibility"-attitude ?

For some people, people aren't contributing unless they are on some sort of a list that says so...
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans

"fedora is the new ubuntu" is an interesting article.
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Every good company that makes it big has people who start to hate it. Every single one - Google, Novell, and many other examples, all have their share of people disliking them for whatever reasons. I guess it's coming to Canonical now too.

But hey, that's a good thing - means it's getting big

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234