Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would happen if windows went open source?

Beans

What would happen if windows went open source?

If MIcrosoft made the bold move to release the source code for there NT line for any reason, what do you think would happen? Do you think that it would be the next killer open source operating system? Would people become so familiar with the platform they could make super spyware, and super viruses? Would the wine community finally be able to complete there dream? Well I would say one thing to the ReactOS crew, "Sorry you wasted 10 years of your life!"

Post your crazy ideas here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: What would happen if windows went open source?

THE WORLD WOULD IMPLODE!!!!!!!!! thats what would happen

Microsoft is to greedy to go open source. I don't think the phrase "What if?" applies here.

Beans

Windows would be a secure stable operating system?

Beans

It would die. It is too far behind, and I don't see anyone trying to improve it when there are existing solutions.

Without the marketing, Windows wouldn't exist.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Releasing source code != going open source.

If and only if windows goes GPL, it will be great news for everyone. Someone might even be able to fork the beast and fix its issues, I might even give it a try.

This will never happen though.

So, I am just looking forward to reactOS.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

The secret that "Microsoft, has stolen open source GPL code for NT", will be revealed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    It would die. It is too far behind, and I don't see anyone trying to improve it when there are existing solutions.

Without the marketing, Windows wouldn't exist.
    I concur with your assessment. Linux is what it is because of real developers wanting what is best for the O/S, not just their wallets. We have the BEST marketing- word of mouth, proven success, and forums like this.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C.S. Lewis
    Ubuntu User #21471
    Linux User #469445

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

If Windows went Open Source I wouldn't use it anyway. I'm too disgusted by Microsoft's practices to appreciate any of their products.

Beans
    Hidden!

If it went open-source, I could see folks doing to it what they do to Linux or Quake ... make different versions to work on different hardware setups.

You'd get the extremists that would strip out all superfluous old code to make a lean, mean, modern OS that could really kick butt on multi-core/threading systems.

You'd get the minimalists who'd strip out anything and everything they could so they can try to get it to run on their wrist-watch, but get fed up because they can only make it stripped down enough to be a really awesome OS for old 486's.

You'd get the folks in between, too.

I think it would ultimately be good for Microsoft customers, since others could start digging into their source and optimizing the hell out of it. But, it would ultimately be bad for Microsoft, because they'd lose all kinds of money in the deal.

Honestly, if you want to think of it this way, why hasn't Microsoft just made their old OS' open-source, much the way Id Software has done with old Quake engines? It's because MS is greedy, and they don't even want their own old OS' to compete with whatever new they toss on the market. Heck, if it wasn't for such public out-cry, they would have shut off WinXP support long ago (they're still just keeping it around for budget laptops, but they really want it to go the way of the dodo.)

So, while we can speculate, the reality of this situation is that there probably never will be a reality. Maybe in 20 years after Microsoft has had its day and is no longer a viable corporate entity, someone ex-employee will pass out the source for, say, Win95, and hobbyists will start messing with it to get their archaic 486's working again just as conversation pieces. And anyone even still associated to Microsoft at that time would probably care less about it even if they could file a lawsuit, because it would be like someone filing a lawsuit against a hobbyist cracking away on old Apple ][e source code ... really, what's the point other than bragging rights amongst dork friends?

Lord knows what OS and computers we'll be using in 20 years. Computer innovation is still growing, but computer application (for home users) is starting to dwindle ... folks are having a hard time justifying the purchase of a dual-core machine just to surf the net or watch YouTube. So, as demand tapers off, so will innovation, since there will be less funding to toss at it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

they could make vista open source GPL and I would pick Ubuntu.
    but as buggy as it is M$ would make a bundle with paid tech service.

and my 160 mhz 486 runs 98se just fine [40mhz FSB with AMD 120 processor]
    Last edited by armandh; April 5th, 2008 at 11:48 AM.
    OS upgrade with no hardware upgrade: $0.
    having a smooth first install: ....priceless.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast