View Poll Results: Do you think humans will ever create self consciouss AI?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. But can we turn them off?

28 70.00%
  • No. AI is going down the wrong track.

12 30.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AI and Consciousness

Beans

AI and Consciousness

Do you think that humans will ever be able to make self aware computers? i.e. some being that has some form of subjective consciousness.

Ray Kurzweil has some interesting vids and articles on this (he definitely thinks so, and not too far away either).

http://www.kurzweilai.net/index.html?flash=1
    Last edited by Chessmaster; April 4th, 2008 at 01:17 PM.
    Desktop: Intel Pentium IV 2.40GHz, Memory 1GB, Ubuntu 8.40
    Laptop: Mobile AMD Sempron 1.8 GHz, Memory 1.2GB, Kubuntu 8.10

Re: AI and Consciousness

its perfectily posable that as computers get more powerfal, thay will be able to think for themselvs.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

It really depends on how you define consciousness. We have developed psuedo-AI's in the form of text based chat-bots that can pass the Turing test, but this doesn't actually think for itself. Its a tricky question, as we are trying to design something we can't define (yet).
    Quote Originally Posted by hessiess View Post
    its perfectily posable that as computers get more powerfal, thay will be able to think for themselvs.
    I don't believe we need much more power, just to define what we are after and discover the math behind it.
    There was a sig here, now its gone.

Beans
    Hidden!

yes, probably. I'd guess the next 50 years we'll probably have that . . .

that's based on the assumptions of a real AI developer.
    -Patrick
    let the strings lead you

Beans

It really is a tricky one. I am not sure what I think about it, although my suspicions are that it is not a case of us designing AI to be conscious, but more of a case of designing something (based on say some algorithm) that operates in such a way that it "learns" to be self aware or something along those lines. Whether we will ever truly understand how it works is another matter.

Xzallion is right in that we don't really know what we are looking for. How would we know that a computer is conscious? Passing something like the Turing test just doesn't seem to be enough.

But then again, isn't that what we do with other people? We assume that others are conscious because they pass our own folk psychology version of the Turing test and they are relevantly similar to ourselves. We would probably conclude that Aliens were conscious if they behaved in certain ways, why not computers? Or is it something we can never really know?

I doubt that there will ever be a Eureka moment. Computers will probably just become so integrated into our lives that we treat them as if they are, and they behave as if they are, conscious. Perhaps after time, they will become conscious but on their own accord.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I've always thought that in order to create an AI one has to create a machine with the ability to learn. After that it can teach itself to be self-conscious.

This task is so difficult though, that I doubt anyone has even got a remote idea how to do that. I'm still hopeful though.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are already in your head.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SupaSonic View Post
    I've always thought that in order to create an AI one has to create a machine with the ability to learn. After that it can teach itself to be self-conscious.

This task is so difficult though, that I doubt anyone has even got a remote idea how to do that. I'm still hopeful though.
    Especially seeing as we don't even know how humans learn!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

One thing I've learned is that there are two words that just don't apply to science and engineering: "can't" and "never".

True AI will happen; it's only a matter of time, resources, and interest.
    You people have been led to believe that mediocrity is excellence. Uh-Uh! Ubuntu is excellence.

Beans
    Hidden!

You have to be careful of the Kurz dude. He's highly optimistic in his predictions about advancements following an exponential instead of linear curve. While I would tend to agree with that, he seems to to leave out (or at least de-emphasize) the importance of market trends on technological advancements. Technologies generally follow stair-step bumps up, not smooth gradients, because pretty soon a set technology (EG: modern computers) provide everything that the common user needs. Since the common user is satisfied with what the have, they don't buy new computers, and thus the market tapers off.

When the market was booming in the 90's, we saw huge computer growth. We're still seeing quite a bit, but there isn't much more for folks to do with them that modern hardware can't already do well. Maybe advanced graphics, audio, etc, but after a while, you get the diminishing return on investment ... upgrades that are so imperceptible it's just not worth the investment (EG: upgrade from DX9 to DX10 ... when the get to DX11, the difference will probably be so imperceptible to the human eye, it won't be worth it)

Anyways, a lull in the market will trickle down to a lull in research in about 5 years, which causes more stagnation ... until some majorly cool need comes along to kick-start everything again (like iPods did).

Kurz is an interesting read, though.

We will eventually make an AI, but I find it ironic that you seem to have a pessimistic spin on your answers. IE: we will make one, and you assume something might go wrong and we'll need to turn it off. Or, we won't make one because we're barking up the wrong tree. Man, you need to be more positive. How about ... we will make one, and it will be the perfect boyfriend / girlfriend everyone wants, and thus human breeding grinds to a dead halt as folks no longer socialize with each other, instead dating their perfect AI robot beau's. Human population plummets, and we eventually hump ourselves into extinction by fornicating with AI robot companions.

Hmmm, that's sort of pessimistic, too. But, at least we go out with a smile on our face.
    Last edited by Tundro Walker; April 5th, 2008 at 09:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I believe that all organic life forms will all become extinct and what we refer to as AI will become genuine intelligence.
    Mechanised conscious lifeforms will be able to travel throughout the galaxy/universe.
    As bio-organisms we will never be able to do so and are ultimately fated for total extinction when our energy source (the sun) runs out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast