Thread: i need help in lansing

Beans

i need help in lansing

can someone help me here. i can bring my pc to you or you can come to my house. i bought a pc at the compusa going out of business sale in frandor. the computer only has some basic form of dos on it. i bought 10 linux os from ebay for 10 dollars. i have been trying to install them for over a month now. i do not have enough ram to run a live disk, i only have 256 on my hp pavillion 700 which i bought from compusa. this computer i'm using with xp only has 128 and i cant even test the cd out on it either. basically i get to the screen loading linux kernel 0% on the pavillion and i can get to the tan and then swirly lined screen on this dell with xp. we called some used computer store off of cedar and i think they said they didnt deal with linux or they didnt suggest it. i can pay for you to help me, not alot of money though. any help will be appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: i need help in lansing

I would suggest using the alternate text installer version of Ubuntu or Xubuntu rather than a live disc for installation.

I too live in lansing and the local Linux User Group (LUG) is the Greater Lansing LUG (GLLUG). Information about them and their meetings can be found here ( http://gllug.org/node/12 ). They do offer an installation night about once every month or two. I would suggest that you stop by to meet them and at some later date I'm sure they can help you out, especially installation night.

If I can be of more help feel free to drop me a private message here.

Good luck,
    raindog

Beans

Smile Re: i need help in lansing

Probably the easiest thing is to add a bit more memory, then you can run many flavors of linux. Shouldn't cost much at all.

Please DO stop by a GLLUG meeting some Thursday. One of us can surely help you out.