Thread: Removing infraction points?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Removing infraction points?

I am quite opinionated, and got into troubles, but I am mostly clean now - and many people like what I write.

I don't want waste my time and your time arguing about past infractions - I agree that I deserved them, but now past sins weight on me. Now, any minor infraction tips me over. And I like to be opinionated - it's part of the fun.

Would it be possible to remove some infraction points if someone got many thanks and so prove valuability to the forum? Like infraction 1 point per 100 thanks or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Removing infraction points?

Moved to resolution center.
    Lets see what the admins say to lower some of your infractions.

Beans

I will look into this and come back .
    This account is not active.

Beans

I have asked that another Forum Council member look at this . I know I said I would , but for personal reason I have asked otherwise

I sincerely apologise pmasiar.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On your original question, we have no plans to tie "thanks" to the removal of infraction points. I understand what you are saying, but I can see some potential for abuse if we were to make it a rule.

However, infractions are not really intended to be purely punitive, but rather are a way for staff to get the attention of a forum member who is behaving badly, either by issuing a warning, or something a little more stern. The ultimate goal is to promote good and healthy forms of participation in the forum community, not merely to punish the naughty. How? By giving an opportunity to point out more positive ways to contribute while trying to weed out negative behavior. In a forum as active as this one, this is not always an easy task, mainly due to the sheer volume of posting that goes on here. As a result, we sometimes come across as less teaching focused and more punishment oriented. That is unfortunate. It is especially true when there are a ton of reported posts at the same time, and real life is calling us, and there are few staff online at the same time, and a flame war and a spam bot flood are in progress. Sometimes staff just hit the infraction button and say, "Don't be mean" and move on. Anyway, I'm rambling, but I really do want to communicate that the internal view of the infraction mechanism is that of teaching with a goal of making these forums a great place to hang out, with a wonderful and friendly atmosphere.

In the calendar year from January 2007 to December 2007 you amassed an amazing number of infractions and points. Really, it is quite impressive. Only you and the staff can see the list and I won't disclose the details here.

I am very pleased that you have not received as much as a warning during the first three months and three days of 2008.

What that says to me is that the system works. You have learned something from the process. Perhaps the system isn't perfect as implemented, but communication has been effective in helping you to understand expectations and find a way to be a more positive force in the forum community. That is something worth celebrating.

As I am the one that issued one of your two permanent infractions, and in good faith that you are trying to turn over a new leaf, as evidenced by your more recent posting history, I will reverse the permanent infraction that I issued in October 2007.

I will also reconsider reversing the other permanent infraction at some point in the future, provided the current trend in your forum participation continues.

Have a great day!
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thanks! I appreciate that.

I did learned to be calmer and report flamebait instead of trying to solve it myself. Just today I almost completely ignored one flamewar and one ranter.

Another thing what changed is that one of rather clever flamebaiter left (sadly only after earning me another infraction).

And also someone installed this new mod bot, LaRoza, who is up all the time, and understands clever flames painful to programmers. One only wonders what clever AI programming is included in that! I wonder if sources are available?