Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Putting an end to wasted display area, gnome 3.0 style.

Beans

Re: Putting an end to wasted display area, gnome 3.0 style.

It seems like your adding 10 pixels of static space to remove 10 pixels of dynamic space. By static and dynamic I'm reffering to window borders and panels. Windows borders would comprise dynamic space becasuse the nature of our stacking window manager allows multiple window borders to occupy the same space (by bieng stacked on top of eachother). By contrast, the panels constitute static space becuase multiple panels can't be stacked on each other while maintaining there intended use.

So I'd basically be forced to use 2 panels (I currently use 1) to save less room (in practice) than the window borders themeselves occupy.

Also, the specific example of FireFox would never word like that for most people. I think it's pretty common for most users to retain the search bar, and although many consolidate the refresh/stop button they make up for it by adding a few other buttons. For example, my toolbar has a FireFtp button, a clear cache button and a bookmarks button as well as the search bar and loading indicator.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This concept is changing rapidly. My thinking has been overhauled, and I have code behind my idea now.

The only thing left to do is get a window list applet that's worth something. (tab widgets instead of button widgets, close buttons on all windows, additional window controls on in-focus window, bold current window title, etc.)

Behold! Real, unmodified screenshots!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ethana2; April 23rd, 2008 at 03:27 AM. Reason: added second screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

The window list makes it seem cluttered. Personally I just use compiz scale effect with screen edge to active it. Of course this would be limited by hardware. Perhaps a permanent button on the bar to activate the scale effect or a non-3d equivalent to replace the window list?
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Genetically modified plants is like DRM for the worlds food supply.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For the window list, I'd recommend trying out every possibility.

Try this one:
    If it's not the window in focus, it should only be an icon with no text.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I don't think it should be top priority but do think that lots of small things could be done to slim it down. If the deskbar were smarter for instance you could remove the need of adding another search widget to your application which would in turn make the desktop slimmer and better in my view.
    There should be some function you can call upon in gtk to allow the deskbar to know what window is focussed and if it knows what application you are referring to when you call upon it then it could put the plugin for that application at the top priority.
    "The program 'apt-get' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing apt-get install apt" LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Your latest proposal has a usability problem: the window title bar is too thin.

Given what is known about the way humans perform when attempting to click an object on the screen with a mouse (Fitt's law), it would be unwise to use such a (vertically) thin handle on top of the windows (which are to be accessed by means of mostly vertical movements), as it would be too difficult to grab.
    My English sucks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Juffo-Wup View Post
    Your latest proposal has a usability problem: the window title bar is too thin.

Given what is known about the way humans perform when attempting to click an object on the screen with a mouse (Fitt's law), it would be unwise to use such a (vertically) thin handle on top of the windows (which are to be accessed by means of mostly vertical movements), as it would be too difficult to grab.
    I think he made it thin on purpose because he doesn't really have a need for it if he uses shortcuts for minimize, maximize, move, etc...

I don't use Gnome, but I know in KDE you can get rid of the title bar altogether on the windows you select (app menu > advanced > no border).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

"Wasted space" sounds really dangerous. I find that windows make use of this "wasted space" in their HIG, and you get a whole lot of buttons/knobs/scrollbars/textlabels all over the screen, all screaming for your attention.

Then I go back to the simple gnome, where as a human, I can focus on one thing at a time, within the given task.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123