Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prelinking Guide- Make Ubuntu Feel Faster

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Prelinking Guide- Make Ubuntu Feel Faster

Quote Originally Posted by geearf
    Prelinking my system breaks the postfix package, and then I have some messages like
    ldconfig: /usr/lib/libpostfix-util.so.1 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libpostfix-global.so.1 is not a symbolic link
    I got this as well, but the only way I found to stop it was to stop prelinking and reinstall the postfix package.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Well it actually does not bother me too much, but I'd still like to fix it, so one in a while I reinstall the package, and prelink will kill it later

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

i have a question about undoing prelink, in the 1st post it's said that to undo prelink, i have to modify the option from "yes" to "no" in the /etc/default/prelink, and then execute /etc/cron ...
    but i did some search, and i found that prelink can also be undone by the 'undo' option of prelink, ( prelink -u i remembered )
    which method should i use ??

( i have no problems with prelink, just to know | except after the install of acroread, when prelinking took 45 minutes ............ for the others packages installations it just takes a few secondes but with acroread ... strange isn't it ?? )

thx

Beans

Seems to be working fine for me. Thanks for the Guide guys.
    [ Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration ]

Beans

seems to be working but i dunno if it has sped things up too much more...
    what sort of performance gain should i expect when using prelinking??
    "Better sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunken Christian." -Ishmael (Moby ****)

IBM T60p 12.04ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks, now I know why Fedora was much faster at starting X
    Kubuntu 14.04 LTS | AMD Athlon II X3 455 | 8 GB DDR3 | GF 750 GTX

Beans

Prelinking after apt-get is taking ages - is it actually that essential seeing as the default config loads the prelink command at midnight every night??
    Last edited by Sionide; November 2nd, 2005 at 03:40 AM.
    [ Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration ]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I love some of the HOWTO's that are on the forums. But this last one makes me think there needs to be a warning system for HOWTO's. Last night, just before sleeping, I saw this prelinking guide and decided to give it a try. Being tired and lazy, I did a very stupid thing. I was working off my laptop on battery-power. Even though I knew I didn't have much time left, I ran the last step in the guide: sudo /etc/cron.daily/prelink. In the middle of the process, my battery ran out and the laptop switched off. I just shrugged my shoulders and went to bed.

This morning I woke up to a very ugly sight. I booted up my computer and halfway through the boot-up started seeing numerous error messages:
    /usr/bin/cut: cannot execute binary file
    /bin/chmod: cannot execute binary file

Suffice to say, Ubuntu wasn't booting anymore. I booted up in recovery mode and thought maybe if I ran prelink again, it'd all be ok? No. When running prelink, it had errors that bascially said all of my libraries did not have a valid ELF header. I thought maybe I could just reinstall my binaries (and libraries?)...but of course apt-get wouldn't run either. So I decided to just give up and reinstall Breezy. Kinda sucked wasting my whole morning on that when I had more important things to do today.

I know that I was dumb for doing a serious operation on low battery power. BUT! To be honest, I didn't realize that prelink was such a powerful operation. I figured it was just like any other package and I could simply uninstall it if it messed up anything. Besides my concern that dumb people like me might not realize there is serious risks with prelink, I am wondering how you would undo everything if you just didn't like prelink's effects. Seems like the ideal HOWTO would tell you the risk level involved and "how to undo" as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xingmu
    I love some of the HOWTO's that are on the forums. But this last one makes me think there needs to be a warning system for HOWTO's. Last night, just before sleeping, I saw this prelinking guide and decided to give it a try. Being tired and lazy, I did a very stupid thing. I was working off my laptop on battery-power. Even though I knew I didn't have much time left, I ran the last step in the guide: sudo /etc/cron.daily/prelink. In the middle of the process, my battery ran out and the laptop switched off. I just shrugged my shoulders and went to bed.

This morning I woke up to a very ugly sight. I booted up my computer and halfway through the boot-up started seeing numerous error messages:
    /usr/bin/cut: cannot execute binary file
    /bin/chmod: cannot execute binary file

Suffice to say, Ubuntu wasn't booting anymore. I booted up in recovery mode and thought maybe if I ran prelink again, it'd all be ok? No. When running prelink, it had errors that bascially said all of my libraries did not have a valid ELF header. I thought maybe I could just reinstall my binaries (and libraries?)...but of course apt-get wouldn't run either. So I decided to just give up and reinstall Breezy. Kinda sucked wasting my whole morning on that when I had more important things to do today.

I know that I was dumb for doing a serious operation on low battery power. BUT! To be honest, I didn't realize that prelink was such a powerful operation. I figured it was just like any other package and I could simply uninstall it if it messed up anything. Besides my concern that dumb people like me might not realize there is serious risks with prelink, I am wondering how you would undo everything if you just didn't like prelink's effects. Seems like the ideal HOWTO would tell you the risk level involved and "how to undo" as well.

Sorry it messed up your system. Thanks for the suggestion, I juse added a disclaimer. I have never heard of such problems with it before and I promise if I knew that turning off you machine in the middle could mess up things I woulc have warned people.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sionide
    Prelinking after apt-get is taking ages - is it actually that essential seeing as the default config loads the prelink command at midnight every night??
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Kubuntu 14.04 LTS | AMD Athlon II X3 455 | 8 GB DDR3 | GF 750 GTX

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast