Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Prelinking Guide- Make Ubuntu Feel Faster

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Prelinking Guide- Make Ubuntu Feel Faster

great post didnt do much for my system in the gnome environment. after going back to xfce or openbox i did notice a bit of a difference.

I guess those days of eyeing up slackware for my box is coming.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i'm using gutsy and just openend up gimp and doing it (found it off another site - about prelinking and tried it out) it started up super-fast no i don't have compiz on, i recommended this on P4 systems at least as it does help make things in Gutsy much faster..
    Last edited by nowshining; December 24th, 2007 at 12:32 PM. Reason: sent. structure
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Beans

Thanks for the guide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I found this very interesting. so I tried it on my desktop with great results. Just now I treid it with my laptop and the touchpad didn't like it at all. So, I decided that I would
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove prelink
    then I decided that I would run auto clean and auto remove just to make sure that nothing was getting messed up with old packages and kernels.

That didn't work so well, so I commented out the option line that has the -mR options in it and it works beautifully.

thanks for the tip!!

About the prelink erroring after the laptop shut down while it was working this seems like a normal result to me. Shutting a system down in the middle of any kind of update will cause the same kind of problems.

Beans

Thanks for the guide!

I just wanted to add that this:
    UPDATE 1/2/07: Prelink is no longer necessary in Feisty. Feisty uses a new linking mechanism called DT_GNU_HASH which dramatically speeds up the linking process without the need for continuously running this prelink program. Again, prelink is NOT useful starting from Feisty
    .. is incorrect.

GNU hash is unrelated to what prelink does and you can still run prelink on a modern linux system, allthough the performance gain is not as good as it used to be with the old SysV hash.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks for the guide!
    I tried it and I noticed a sensible improvement on my netbook (Ubuntu 10.10)

Thanks again

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910