Thread: starcraft battle.net problems

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

starcraft battle.net problems

Hello,

I can log in to battle.net but the screen looks messed up, and it makes it hard to navigate. Here is what I mean. There is a related bug report opened here bug report

Last edited by ekravche; March 30th, 2008 at 12:58 PM.
    registered linux user 406293, registered linux machine 311340 .
    registered ubuntu user 16130.

Beans

Re: starcraft battle.net problems

This problem has been around for a LONG time. As far as i know, there are no good solutions for it at the moment. Sorry.

However, the menus should still function properly, so if you know how to navigate it blindly, you can still get into games. (i know it sucks, but i has to mention it)

Beans

Well, you're further than I am, as when I try to either register or log in to Battle.net, it hangs for me. Hitting escape to try to go back to main menu brings me to a redrawn main bnet menu with a dialog box with nothing in it, and I can do nothing. Thus Ctrl+Alt+Bckspc to gdm.

Also of note, I can't get it to work in Windowed mode no matter what I try. I've tried a script someone sent me that's supposed to work in front of Starcraft, I've tried the workaround in winecfg so that my WM (Openbox FWIW) won't handle it. Still in (YAY) fullscreen.

Considering I've never gotten Starcraft to work in WINE since I started running Red Hat back in 2003, and now I keep seeing nothing but Silver ratings on WineHQ's AppDB with people saying they're able to use Bnet with the glitches, I'm really getting enfuriated.

EDIT: ...and if anyone can tell me what's going on, how to work around it so that I can actually play StarCraft on Bnet, I will gladly make out with you. Tongue, no tongue, your choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Some of the later versions of wine don't work with battle.net at all... i would recommend 0.9.39 or the most recent one if you want to run battle.net
    The box said that I needed to have Windows 98 or better... so I installed Linux
    Need help with shell commands? click
    Need MORE help with shell commands? advanced click

Beans

That is the bug they are trying to fix and have been trying to fix ever sense 0.9.47 I believe.
    If you have corefonts installed and the opengl reg already then that is all you can do .
    This is why I still have windows :/.They are going to be fixing this soon though cause there is a look a like bug in wc3 and d2 and it is on the list for wine 1.0.
    So until thenjust sit and wait like the rest of us.

Beans
    Distro

It can be fixed partially, by getting a hacked ddraw.dll and placing it in the starcraft directory. See this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=30

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ekravche View Post
    It can be fixed partially, by getting a hacked ddraw.dll and placing it in the starcraft directory. See this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=30
    I am fine with dual booting .

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch6000 View Post
    I am fine with dual booting .
    I would rather run it in wine... I don't like dual booting unless it's really necessary...

Beans

Amazingly enough I got into Battle.net with the latest version of Wine. The only trouble I had was updating to latest version of battle.net, which I found a solution for on wine's website.

That was to change windows version to Windows NT 4.0 then login to battle.net, and it updated great. But now Im having a similar problem when Im in battle.net Suprisingly, I was able to register blindly and get into the chat, and play a game.

Still is somewhat difficult to navigate though. Im glad it works though, since I thought it would be a bigger pain to get it working.