Thread: Frugalware?

Beans

Frugalware?

You don't hear much about Frugalware... and I'm starting to think that you should. This distro looks really awesome, has anyone tried it?

Beans

Re: Frugalware?

Have my eye on it for some time now..
    Surely I'll be trying it sooner or later, maybe try a vm first.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    You don't hear much about Frugalware... and I'm starting to think that you should. This distro looks really awesome, has anyone tried it?
    I've heard about it, but never got around to trying it. Seems like it might be good.

Beans

Well version 0.9 was just released. I didn't know it used pacman (like Arch) and is akin to Slackware in design:
    Frugalware Linux is an independently developed general purpose desktop Linux distribution designed for intermediate users. It follows simple Slackware-like design concepts and includes the "pacman" package management utility from Arch Linux.
    I'll be downloading it tonight to try out on my laptop.

Beans

I've been running the last few releases, and it's a nice distro, no doubt.
    It doesn't use the vanilla pacman from arch linux, they branched it before pacman went 3.0, so it's a little different, and it's called pacman-g2 btw.
    Also, instead of ABS they have a system called repoman, and instead of PKGBUILDS they use Frugalbuilds wich are different, but compatible if you hack them a bit.
    There are not as many applications in the repos as in arch linux, and to be perfectly honest, the comparisons end here, because the similarities end here. no, really. It's more like slackware than arch linux to be honest, but in the end it's it's own distro really.
    The developers do things their own way, and for the most part include stable software rather than experimental stuff. A good example is that pm-utils nor powersaved was included in the repos until just recently. networkmanager still isn't included.
    The community isn't very large, so getting help can be demanding compared to say arch/ubuntu.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pelle.k View Post
    It's more like slackware than arch linux
    Cool, because I like Slackware.

Quote Originally Posted by pelle.k View Post
    networkmanager still isn't included.
    hmmm... is there any kind of wifi manager included?
    If not, I may just try to install WICD for my laptop.

Beans

If you're unsure about what packages are in the repos or not;
    http://www.frugalware.org/packages

But to answer your question, wifi-radar is included.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts