Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: LXDE 0.3 - Lightwght and Fast Desktop Environment (apt repo is provided)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: LXDE 0.3 - Lightwght and Fast Desktop Environment (apt repo is provided)

Quote Originally Posted by kagashe View Post
    Initially I added LXDE to full Ubuntu Hardy install and there was no problem. But I want to make the desktop even lighter, therefore, I am trying to install on Ubuntu Hardy Cli.

When I try to install the meta package lxde it complains of unmet dependencies. Then I am trying to install the dependencies but there are uninstallable dependencies like xscreensaver (there are other few).

I am not interested in trying PUD LXDE version etc. but build my own.

Please help.

kagashe
    I downloaded the following .deb files from Debian and installed them through dpkg:
    libnetpbm10_10.0-11.1+etch1_i386.deb
    netpbm_10.0-11.1+etch1_i386.deb
    xscreensaver_5.04-2_i386.deb

This resolved all dependencies and I could install lxde meta package.

I am happy to install LXDE on Ubuntu Hardy Cli and starting it on Cli through startx. There is a big difference in memory usage compared to LXDE on full Ubuntu install and login through GDM.

Memory usage full Ubuntu install & login through GDM:
    Total used free
    Mem: 312 255 56
    buffers/cache 74 237

Memory usage Ubuntu Cli and using startx:
    Total used free
    Mem: 312 166 146
    buffers/cache 44 268

Note: Memory figures are on the desktop with xterm only running.

I recommend it to all Ubuntu LXDE users.

kagashe
    Last edited by kagashe; May 19th, 2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: more info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by PryGuy View Post
    Very cool! Is there a keyboard layout switcher plugin?
    $ sudo apt-get install fbxkb
    $ fbxkb
    It will appear near the clock applet. I don't know how to autostart it on reboot. I don't use any login manager and start lxde through .xinitrc file. I have added fbxkb to the file.

kagashe

Beans

New LXDE apt repo is available!!

Hi all, we have new apt repository for LXDE now.
    There is no update in my personal apt repository for quite a long time because I don't have ubuntu anymore. Ubuntu 8.04 performed poorly on my laptop, and there are a lot of unresolved problems, so I removed ubuntu, and switched to ArchLinux recently.
    Fortunately, we found another package maintainer - michael r < michael.r@spamfreemail.de>. He built up a new repo on Launpad PPA of LXDE for us.

For Ubuntu 8.04 hardy
    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/lxde/ubuntu hardy main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/lxde/ubuntu hardy main
    For Ubuntu 7.10 gutsy
    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/lxde/ubuntu gutsy main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/lxde/ubuntu gutsy main
    From now on, our official ubuntu repo will be moved to Launchpad PPA service.
    Currently, i386, amd64, and lpa packages of the latest LXDE are provided for Hardy. Please upgrade now!!

Alternatively, you can use the repository provided by Ubuntulite project.
    This is a lightweight branch of Ubuntu. They switched to LXDE in Ubuntulite 0.8 release.

Cheers!!
    Last edited by PCMan; May 24th, 2008 at 02:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hi folks!

This desktop rocks! On my 1300 mhz Compaq, it flies!
    I have a few questions, though:

1. I can change gtk themes through lxappearance, but not openbox themes through obconf. All the themes are in /usr/share/themes-both openbox and gtk. Why doesn't openbox find it's own themes? It says: "an error accurred while saving the config file: '/openbox/lxde-rc.xml. The problem is, I don't have an '/openbox lxde-rc.xml file in .config. Do I have to make one, then? And how?
    2. I installed what gtk themes in the repos I could find. In my home directory, there's a whole bunch of files labeled /gtkrc-tmp-10, or 11 - up to 22, although it skips some numbers. All of these files say the exact same thing:
    #THEME AUTO WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT
    include "/usr/share/themes/Xeneon/gtk/gtkrc
    include '/home/shell/.gtkrc.mine (shell is my username, not the bash shell)
    I'm not using the Xeneon theme, either, but Cleanice-Dark.Why do they all say the same thing? Do I need all these files?
    I have no .gtkrc.mine directory; do I have to make this, too? Is this why obconf can't find it's files?
    3. How do I change the cursor? I found the cursor themes, but theres no dialog to change the cursor. I like a big cursor.
    4. If I download any more themes gtk-based, I guess I should put them in the /usr/share directory, so lxappearance will find them?
    Thanks for any help. I've tried a few suggestions on this thread and others, but I keep getting error messages not mentioned.
    Now if I can just get menumaker to work, since obmenu doesn't add items to it's own menu, I'd be a very happy woman.
    Last edited by rolypolycat; May 24th, 2008 at 07:51 AM. Reason: added some notes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The upgrade to pcmanfm in the new repos claims hal as a dependency...? (amongst several other new ones)

As I've recently ditched hal in favour of manual/keyboard-shortcut mounting, this means no more pcmanfm for me, I'm sorry to say. Nevertheless, I'm curious as to the reasons for this dependency - I just checked nautilus and thunar and neither requires it... Pcman?
    Last edited by chochem; May 24th, 2008 at 10:13 AM.

Beans

I tried to install LXDE on U. 7.04, and all kinds of dependency problems. I upgraded it to 7.10, and the same. I finally took it to 8.04, and one last problem. Using the repository given in the first post, for Ubuntu, apt-get claims that LXDE requires pcmanfm 0.3.9.5, but what Ubuntu installs is 0.3.2.2-2--a significantly lower number. So, why does the lxde install for Ubuntu require a version of pcman that I can't install without going to source? And if I try installing from source, will it have depencencies which also require updates? So, my question.... is this something that is fixable? What are the workarounds?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chochem View Post
    The upgrade to pcmanfm in the new repos claims hal as a dependency...? (amongst several other new ones)

As I've recently ditched hal in favour of manual/keyboard-shortcut mounting, this means no more pcmanfm for me, I'm sorry to say. Nevertheless, I'm curious as to the reasons for this dependency - I just checked nautilus and thunar and neither requires it... Pcman?
    Nautilus depends on gnome libs such as gnome-vfs/gvfs, and they depends on HAL. Other addons like gnome-volume-manager depends on HAL.

Thunar depends on xfce libraries, such as libexo, and libexo depends on HAL. Also, its thunar-volman depends on HAL.

PCManFM doesn't depend on any external libs from specific desktop, and do all of this itself, so it depends on hal. I think this is quite reasonable.

There is no point in refusing to use HAL. Most of the modern desktop environments need that. Also, performance impact caused by HAL is minimal, and not visible by the users. With HAL the usability of many desktop apps can be improved.

PCManFM can be configured to turn off HAL support, if you build it from source. (pcmanfm-nohal is provided for debian, but in this repo, we didn't build that)
    Last edited by PCMan; May 24th, 2008 at 03:03 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joninkrakow View Post
    I tried to install LXDE on U. 7.04, and all kinds of dependency problems. I upgraded it to 7.10, and the same. I finally took it to 8.04, and one last problem. Using the repository given in the first post, for Ubuntu, apt-get claims that LXDE requires pcmanfm 0.3.9.5, but what Ubuntu installs is 0.3.2.2-2--a significantly lower number. So, why does the lxde install for Ubuntu require a version of pcman that I can't install without going to source? And if I try installing from source, will it have depencencies which also require updates? So, my question.... is this something that is fixable? What are the workarounds?
    There should be newer versions in our repo. We just built version 0.4.1.1 and 0.4.4 experimental. The pcmanfm package in Ubuntu is quite old. 0.3.2.2 was released in 2006. Using the official ubuntu package is hence discouraged. Debian has 0.3.6 which was released in 2008 earlier but Ubuntu was freezed due to 8.04 release, so that's the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re:can't delete anything!!

Hello!

I seem to have a big problem here. I did a manual update of lxpanel through update manager. I also installed a few new themes and ran fslint on only my home directory. But now, I can't delete anything in my home! Even if I change permissions-to read, write, execute- that particular file, it goes through the motions, then says "permission denied". If I don't change permissions, then delete is grayed out on the menu. I have to go into root mode to do anything in my home folder!
    Would simply using update-manager and updating lxpanel do this? I tried to re-install in Synaptic, but the options were either greyed out or it needed another version of some other software.
    How do I get my permissions back for my own folder?!
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: can't delete anything!!

Quote Originally Posted by rolypolycat View Post
    I can't delete anything in my home! Even if I change permissions-to read, write, execute- that particular file, it goes through the motions, then says "permission denied". I have to go into root mode to do anything in my home folder!
    How do I get my permissions back for my own folder?!
    I'm afraid I can't help you with lxpanel/upgrade issues, but if you just want to get your home folder back, go into root mode again and check who owns the /home/yourusername folder. If it's not you, but root or something, change it back to you, and change the permissions, recursively, to give you read write and execute permissions on everything in the folder. Pcmanfm makes this fairly easy (select the folder, right-click, properties, permissions) but you can do it from a terminal too:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R yourname:yourname  /home/yourname
    sudo chmod 770 -R /home/yourname
    where yourname is your actual user name.
    2004 IBM desktop (2.8GHz P4, 512MB RAM)
    Blatant self-advertising: a restaurant, a band and a sort of Japan blog

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast