Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "VirtualBox kernel driver not installed" error after Hardy upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

"VirtualBox kernel driver not installed" error after Hardy upgrade

Just wanted to let anyone else having this problem know that you need to install your kernel headers to correct this problem. You can install the correct headers for your system via the terminal with this command: "sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)" followed by this command to install the vbox kernel driver: "sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup"

I found this information in this thread, courtesty of bodhi.zazen: http://www.ubuntu-forums.com/showthread.php?t=458494 I happen to be running the PUEL version, but I believe this information would also pertain to the FOSS version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: "VirtualBox kernel driver not installed" error after Hardy upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by omegamormegil View Post
    Just wanted to let anyone else having this problem know that you need to install your kernel headers to correct this problem. You can install the correct headers for your system via the terminal with this command: "sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)" followed by this command to install the vbox kernel driver: "sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup"

I found this information in this thread, courtesty of bodhi.zazen: http://www.ubuntu-forums.com/showthread.php?t=458494 I happen to be running the PUEL version, but I believe this information would also pertain to the FOSS version.
    Hmmmm..this didn't work for me. I am still getting an error saying that I don't have a suitable module for the kernel. I am using the RC1 of Hardy.

EDIT: I figured out how to get this to work. Per the bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...es/+bug/214393, it appears that I had installed kernel specific modules rather than modules that would update when I updated the machine.

The solution was to run
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install virtualbox-ose-modules-generic
    That's apparently the metapackage, and it fixed my issues (with a score of -241).
    Last edited by mlissner; April 20th, 2008 at 06:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by mlissner View Post
    Hmmmm..this didn't work for me. I am still getting an error saying that I don't have a suitable module for the kernel. I am using the RC1 of Hardy.

EDIT: I figured out how to get this to work. Per the bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...es/+bug/214393, it appears that I had installed kernel specific modules rather than modules that would update when I updated the machine.

The solution was to run
    Code:
    That's apparently the metapackage, and it fixed my issues (with a score of -241).
    Great find! Thanks for posting this. I was having the same problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Appears I should have caught this thread an hour ago before I tried to fix this on my own. I selected the 386 kernel instead of the generic, and my video would crash after reboot, unless I punched Grub and selected the generic kernel out of the list.... Got it fixed though (fresh system, so I just formatted the HD again because I'm short on time to sit and tinker around).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That worked for me too. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mlissner View Post

The solution was to run
    Code:
    Perfect!
    Thanks,
    Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I had the same issue after upgrading - I will try the fix tonight - Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

This did not work for me. I guess I'm the odd man out. :-/
    Kek

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by lik3n View Post
    This did not work for me. I guess I'm the odd man out. :-/
    If you post your error messages, maybe we can help?

Beans

I have the same problem today after upgrading the kernel version to .17, tried installing the virtualbox-ose-moduels-generic package, but it doesn't look like there is an up-to-date package available.
    Also tried to /etc/init.d/vboxdrv start in case that method worked for me (my kernal headers seem to be installed, heck I'll try anything) but it returned the following error:
    Code:
    * Starting VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv                                    
     * No suitable module for running kernel found.
    and I was just getting to like the fact that I could use other OS under ubuntu....

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast