Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Am I killing my Hard Disk ?

Beans

Red face [SOLVED] Am I killing my Hard Disk ?

Hi

Will I ultimately kill my hard disk if I kept formatting my disk again and again ( to try different distros)? Is this true? I remember formatting the disk 5 times in December to get the right partitioning.(Trying to set up a dual boot for the first time)

How many times can we format a disk before it dies and should I stop doing this? How often do you format ?

I was going to install open suse on another partition but now I'm scared
    Last edited by Google Spider; April 1st, 2008 at 06:17 AM.
    Do NOT run any command resembling sudo rm -rf /. It is the 10-character code of death

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Am I killing my Hard Disk ?

I had an old 60 Gb in my old computer that started making strange noise after I had reformated it several times (I cant know for sure how many times... I lost count).

I quickly replaced it though, so it didn't have time to break down. So, this is not a definitive answer, but I think repeated formating can damage the drive.
    My cross-platform python modules for PVA or population simulation https://code.google.com/p/nobones/, written in Ubuntu!

Beans

Formatting a hard drive is just writing bits of information to the disk with the file structure information, your at no more risk then if you were using your hard disk store any other kind of information.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I heard at one point that the partition table could break or become corrupt if changed too often, though I'm sure at this point you'd have to change your partitions hundreds of times for that to happen.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

37289675 times (joking )
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Technically your probably doing more good than bad with all the reformatting.

Every disk get's bad sectors over time. When you reformat it the software usually checks for bad sectors and skips them ( so no data errors due to bad sectors!).

So the older the Disk the more life you'll give it if you do a full reformat every now and again...
    Laters...
    Sol
    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere" User numbers: Ubuntu 23772 Linux 477911

Beans

Amazing the amount of FUD out there.

Formatting a drive or partition actually involves less writing to the disk than normal everyday usage does. Formatting is nothing but writing to a disk so I honestly can't see how the hell it is bad for the hd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

There are limits to the amount of time that a hard disk can ultimately be reformated. My older 80G hard drive eventually became unusable because i reformatted windows sooooo many times (around 30+) because of studpid viruses. It was also my first time using linux and i must have reformated that about 10 times. Eventually my computer lost the ability to even write to the hard disk.
    (DESKTOP)Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0 Ghz, 4G ram, nvidia 8800 GT 1G, LOTS of architecture programs
    (LAPTOP XPS 1530) Intel Core2 duo 2.2Ghz, 3G ram, Nvidia 8600m gt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

its possible it just got old but i believe its because i overwrote it sooo much
    (DESKTOP)Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0 Ghz, 4G ram, nvidia 8800 GT 1G, LOTS of architecture programs
    (LAPTOP XPS 1530) Intel Core2 duo 2.2Ghz, 3G ram, Nvidia 8600m gt

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Anytime you write to the disk, you are stressing it, and all drives willl die eventually but formatting does no more than the usual writing to disk, and like it was said before, bad areas will be avoided.

If it's got moving parts, it'll break eventually, just a general rule of life

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast