Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Password protect your GRUB entries

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Password protect your GRUB entries

Soul-reaver is right in this case, but I have had numerous problems with stripped or broken config files in my conscious linux life. Thanks to both of you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Just want to remember you guys that Bios passwords can be skipped quite easily.... ofcourse it comes down to having fysical access to the box. One simply needs to open the case, locate the bios flat battery, pull it off, wait a few seconds and the bios will be reset, thus emptying it's memory where it keeps the save file for the configurations and bios password.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Vanlancker View Post
    Just want to remember you guys that Bios passwords can be skipped quite easily.... ofcourse it comes down to having fysical access to the box. One simply needs to open the case, locate the bios flat battery, pull it off, wait a few seconds and the bios will be reset, thus emptying it's memory where it keeps the save file for the configurations and bios password.
    Speaking the truth I have done this at least 10 times without needing physical access to the MB However window$ is needed I should have tried it with wine

Beans

you guys are great!
    Thank you so much....
    I'm all set for this issue.

Beans

http://ubuntusoftware.info/sum.html

Seems to be the easy way out, for us NOOBS!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't mean to be "THAT GUY," but I don't think all this crazy encryption & password stuff is really all that necessary. Truth be told, I found this thread only because I saw the password line in Grub while I was adding XP to my boot list and was curious about it.

So here's the reason I'm posting - I have a question.

Why not just set a BIOS hardware password? That way, you have to enter a master password before the computer even begins the process of booting. I've heard it can be reversed by some kind of switch on the motherboard, but I really don't think anyone would ever go to the trouble of opening up my computer. I also don't think anyone will ever rip the hard drive out in order to see my data, so I see no point in encrypting it. I mean, this isn't the CIA (or is it?).

I don't mean to bust your balls, but if somebody knows some huge flaw with the BIOS thing I'd be interested to know.
    Thinkpad T61 (6459-CTO) + mods

Beans

Hi,
    Isn't it more easier for a beginner to use the Start Up Manager to set Grub Password ?

Can you please tip me on how to configure the Grub using the Startup Manager ?

Is there any chance of complications/errors arising when using the Start Up Manger (I kind of feel comfortable at easy interface it provides).

What's the advantage using command lines over Start Up Manger?

Thanks friends.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by virx View Post
    Now I have to enter password every time I boot.

Is it possible to make GRUB ask for password only if somebody tries to edit GRUB lines during boot (wants to boot into single user mode) or disable GRUB editing during boot (disable 'e' key)?

EDIT: And the answere is:
    If I put
    password --md5 $1$w7Epf0$vX6rxpozznLAVxZGkcFcs.
    before kernels and titles (check menu.lst, where password is commented out),
    I get what I want
    So this makes editing GRUB lines impossible without a password? Great Was looking for this. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Seems secure if you disable booting from cd. Good tutorial.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What if I don't have menu.lst?
    A wise man listens to an opinion and tries to develop his own but a foolish man listens to an opinion and except it as fact.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast