Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hold my hand with virtualization

Beans

hold my hand with virtualization

Ive been trying wrap my head around virtualized environments but have not found the sources for me to fully grasp it yet.

I want to run xp from within ubuntu primarily for excel and a few other programs. I would love to be able test/run some games (warcraft 3, civ 4), i understand there are performance hits to this.

Im running hardy 64 bit.

I don't know where to start. What virtualization to use? Ive searched around and found alot of information but no direction. Im sure there are links around i just have not found them.

What advice can you all give?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: hold my hand with virtualization

My recommendation would be for Virtualbox, it has brilliant performance and if you don't mind the lack of a direct USB access (Not especially useful for most things) then the opensourced version is in the repos. There is also a .deb file on their official website so it's nice and easy to get setup.

Excel and the like shouldn't be a problem to run, but games are pretty much a no go. Aside from the large performance hit you would get they require 3d acceleration, which is still highly experimental in the virtualisation world, even the commercial programs still haven't got it going to a decent level.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Take a look: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox

Don't mind about networking and wireless networking sections, I think you wouldn't need it.

Try to install the Guest Additions, it makes difference, but don't think you have good 3D video processing.

Beans

thanks alot ill give virtualbox a try

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I am new to virtualization, but installed vmware to try, been using it for a week and have found it easy to use. Haven't had any problems with usb, sounds or video. I have even networked between xp (vm) and ubuntu, if I can do it then anyone can.
    Clive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It's very easy to use both (vmware and virtualbox).
    When I installed vmware inside the ubuntu 7.04 (feisty), there was a boring thing, I had to recompile something I don't remember (I think it was vmware module) when kernel update was released.

I don't know how it is nowadays, if somebody knows, please tell me
    Last edited by diegosouza; March 25th, 2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: one more sentence

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, nothing has changed when a kernel update occurs: you have to run vmware-config.pl again... no big deal when you consider just what features you have and the power of VM.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP Pro running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

so how do vmware and virtualbox differ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The only real significant difference for me is the ability to copy, cut, paste from Ubuntu to WinXP and back again, without issue. This VMware can do, and from last I saw, VBox cannot.

Speed, quickness is about the same. VBox does have an open source edition. VMware Player and Server are free, but not open.

I feel VMware Server is more mature, but this is my opinion, after using both on the same computer for about two months. Notice my signature.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP Pro running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

well unless someone strongly argues otherwise i think i will give virtualbox a try first. I must admit i have heard more about vmware overall and it does sound like it might have advantages. vmware not being opensource seriously detracts from its long term value for me.

Face value they can both be used for free but the level of community involvement is usually very restricted when not open source. Plus anything could happen to the code base in the future.

Id love to keep hearing peoples input. Ill also post about how thing go for me (though its not too high on my list of things to do yet).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast