Thread: [SOLVED] Printer works in XP but not in Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

[SOLVED] Printer works in XP but not in Linux

I am using a Brother HL 2040 printer and it has worked fine in Ubuntu 7.10. I have since installed VirtualBox and run XP Home, which works great also. The problem is that, when I run XP, the printer (connected via USB) works fine in XP but then Ubuntu doesn't recognize it. It says that it is disconnected. If I then shut down VB, I have to re-start Ubuntu to get the printer to work again.

Anyone have this problem and/or know of a solution?
    Lee

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Sir Winston Churchill

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Printer works in XP but not in Linux

The printer can be conected to just one machine, the real one or the virtual. So if you use the usb emulation in the virtual machine, you lose the printer in the host machine.

I would try keep the printer connected to ubuntu, and share the printer through Samba.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Printer works in XP but not in Linux

Quote Originally Posted by luisromangz View Post
    I would try keep the printer connected to ubuntu, and share the printer through Samba.
    Ah, makes sense. Thanks! And it works too!
    Last edited by LeeU; March 25th, 2008 at 05:00 PM.
    Lee

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Sir Winston Churchill