Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vmware server usb crash

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Vmware server usb crash

Hi, I'm using Vmware Server in Kubuntu.

When I try to mount USB devices and I enable on my virtual machine (win xp), it crash in a few seconds.

Anyone know if is it a common Vmware bug?

Thanks in advance.

Enrycone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Vmware server usb crash

It certainly is not a bug with folks who are using gnome, Ubuntu. VMware is solid with USBs and the like.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

I'm getting this problem and I'm using Gnome on Hardy so I'm guessing the previous poster is wrong.

Beans

I'm having the same issue too with the USB flash drive crashing my XP VM. I've got Ubuntu 8.04 and am using VMware 1.0.6. I added this to \etc\fstab get VMware to recognize my flash drive:

# USB for vmware/vbox
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0

But plugging in the drive will give XP a BSOD.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lukemack View Post
    I'm getting this problem and I'm using Gnome on Hardy so I'm guessing the previous poster is wrong.
    I have no issues running files from a USB in VM WinXP to Ubuntu and vice versa using Windows Explorer, the file manager... no crashes, just works.

I use smb shares... works good, quick!
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

There is a problem.

I have my hp1020 working perfectly in uBuntu. (after following the steps outlined here)
    XP Pro on VMware works flawlessly except for printing.

New Windoz drivers from HP.

Select VM, Removable Devices, USB Devices, and I see the hp1020.
    If I select it, and try to print to it (either test page or from an application) the screen goes blue with a dump of some sort (I would post it but it flashes by too quickly) and then XP tries to reboot.

I say try as it stays on the Windoz screen until I de-select the printer. Then it all works again.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRandola View Post
    There is a problem.

I have my hp1020 working perfectly in uBuntu. (after following the steps outlined here)

If I select it, and try to print to it (either test page or from an application) the screen goes blue with a dump of some sort (I would post it but it flashes by too quickly) and then XP tries to reboot.

I say try as it stays on the Windoz screen until I de-select the printer. Then it all works again.
    I take it you have loaded the new driver while you are in VM WinXP?

I have a Canon i9100 and an Epson R220 that work perfectly in VM WinXP, both USBs. The Epson works perfectly in Ubuntu but not the Canon.

I only use the VM for the graphic programs that I'm so used to for work flow.

Beans

That's not useful at all. We need to hear from users who have had this problem (or one like it) and how they fixed it.

Maybe it's a bug and we'll have to figure it out on our own!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRandola View Post
    There is a problem.

I have the same problem with my Canon MP500. It works fine in Ubuntu. The drivers installed correctly on my XP virtual machine (using VMWare Server) but when I start a printing job I get the blue screen. Anyone found a solution to this yet?

Beans

VMware 1.0.6 has an issue with some USB 2.0 devices. Until the manufacturer fixes this, you would need to get a USB1.0 hub and plug your USB 2.0 devices into that.

I have not tried VMware 2.0 yet as it seems to have too many bugs. And I can live with just one at this time.

Lots o help aren't I?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast