Here's the short version:

Ubuntu 7.10 w/ nVidia 8800. I installed Ubuntu and wine 0.9.57 (current when I installed linux) and got everything working flawlessly. (Oblivion, Team Fortress 2, Dreamweaver Photoshop).

A new version of wine came out recently (0.9.58). Prior to the .deb being released, I downloaded and compiled 0.9.58 directly from source. Did a make install and everything upgraded fine. The new binary continued to run all my applications.

Then I made the mistake of clicking "yes, go ahead and install the software updates".

This promptly broke wine entirely. The "upgrade" installed with no issue, however now applications wouldn't run. I decided to remove wine totally and start again:

1) sudo apt-get purge wine
2) renamed ~/.wine to ~/wineold
3) renamed /usr/local/lib/wine to wineold

4) sudo apt-get install wine

Step 4 downloaded and installed 0.9.58 from the Ubuntu repo and installed with no errors. I have gotten Dreamweaver and Photoshop to work, but directx apps now bail:

err:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_IsPixelFormatCompatibleWithRe nderFmt Unable to check compatibility for Format=WINED3DFMT_A32B32G32R32F
err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_A32B32G32R32F
I've tried to remove and reinstall wine several times but the result is always the same: DirectX apps crash.

Yes, I've copied over the one DX9 dll from my Windows installation.

I'd also like to mention that I did try "make uninstall" from the folder that I compiled wine 0.9.58 in. It appeared to do some uninstallingy-sorta-stuff but no dice either.

Help? =(

I'm relatively new to the linux thing and am getting a little frazzled.