Thread: VMWare Fails to Install

Beans

Question VMWare Fails to Install

I installed Ubuntu and VMWare Server about three weeks ago. However I'm unable to install a newer version of VMWare Server... I have downloaded the tar file and unzipped it. However when I run 'sudo vmware-install.pl' I get a 'command not found' error.

Have googled it and find there were a lot of people having this problem two years ago, but no one really having it now.

Do I need to remove the current VMWare installation to install this newer one? If so how might I save the settings and clients already created?

Beans

Re: VMWare Fails to Install

You may need to remove the current installation, but try:
    Code:
    sudo perl vmware-install.pl
    If the advice you're given in this forum solves your issue, please mark the post as [SOLVED] in consideration to others.
    Registered Linux User: 448689 | How To: Secure the GRUB Boot Loader
    [ Acer Aspire 5535 | Arch Linux x86_64 | Compiz WM ]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bluewhale View Post
    I installed Ubuntu and VMWare Server about three weeks ago. However I'm unable to install a newer version of VMWare Server... I have downloaded the tar file and unzipped it. However when I run 'sudo vmware-install.pl' I get a 'command not found' error.

Have googled it and find there were a lot of people having this problem two years ago, but no one really having it now.

Do I need to remove the current VMWare installation to install this newer one? If so how might I save the settings and clients already created?
    The "new" 1.0.5 version of VMware server only has a few security fixes compared to the 1.0.4 version available in the Ubuntu Partner repositories, so it is hardly worth changing for most people.

I imagine the VMware maintainers will upgrade this soon anyway.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate.
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

'DOH!' Forgot I have workstation at work. It's the free server I was writing in about. I had thought to test ways to update it at work as I haven't registered my XP Pro client with MS yet... but as this one is VM Workstation no chance to test it.

My concern at home is that I just registered XP with MS there a week ago. Could one of you point me to a URL where detailed steps are listed to save a 'client' and install it on a new VMWare server?

( I attended a 4 day VMWare ESX class two weeks ago: oddly enough we never got to this part. I guess it's just assumed one knows about it. )

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Go to wherever the VM is installed and simply copy the whole folder to another disk, usually in the range of 10 to 15 Gigabytes. Then you place that file to wherever you have installed your new console to handle it, either Player or Server. Point to it and it runs.

I forget the default location of the .vmx folders but it seems like it is /usr/lib something. I always store my vm in my /home directory.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 3.8GHz, SSD, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP Pro running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.