Thread: Create your own server question?

Beans

Create your own server question?

I have been following the "Create your own server" "How To" and decided to attempt this myself.

I followed the instructions from Part 1 with no problems. However, now I tried part 2 from issue 10 and it won't allow me to run any of the sudo commands. It says my username isn't in the sudoers. Looking back to Part 1 when I loaded the server version and created my username it says it doesn't have administrative rights.

How can I elevate my username to appropriate status or get my username into the admin group?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Create your own server question?

Quote Originally Posted by r0ut3r View Post
    I have been following the "Create your own server" "How To" and decided to attempt this myself.

I followed the instructions from Part 1 with no problems. However, now I tried part 2 from issue 10 and it won't allow me to run any of the sudo commands. It says my username isn't in the sudoers. Looking back to Part 1 when I loaded the server version and created my username it says it doesn't have administrative rights.

How can I elevate my username to appropriate status or get my username into the admin group?
    From Daniel, writer of Create Your Own Server:

Code:
    Press esc to access the grub boot menu.

Choose Recovery mode (should be the second option) and hit enter.

It will start up and you will have a command line which should show: root@ubuntu#

Type in: adduser "username" admin
    Hopefully that should sort your problem.
    Ronnie
    Editor, Full Circle - The FREE Independent Magazine for the Ubuntu Community
    Official Ubuntu Member | Registered Linux User # 456627 | Registered Ubuntu User # 18227