Thread: Making a user with my desired username!

Beans

Making a user with my desired username!

Hello ubuntuforums!

I have a problem with creating a user here.

I tried with several different user names as lasse, lassenc, lassechrist, lassenygaard.

Which are all part of my name, but it says it does not meet the administrator's standards.

Looked up the usernames via the search button, but nothing came up.

What are the limits of a username since I can't choose any?

This is not my "desired" username and regged to my main email.

Any takers?

Beans

Re: Making a user with my desired username!

I am not sure, but the "***" part may be confusing the language filter.

I am sure an admin would change your name for this, as you have no other posts, and do not want this current name.

I am not an admin, so hang tight.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    I am not sure, but the "***" part may be confusing the language filter.
    Ahha! Now how comical is that. Instead of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th character of the suggested names, we get three stars...

LaRoza - I suspected the same cause, and wondered whether scanning even the intended usernames is really necessary.

Would the forum be filled with spam-alicious user names with bad taste without this feature, causing the staff an undesirable amount of work policing these? Maybe, I don't know. I suspect though that the Admins do have a reason for this policy, if indeed the language filter is to blame. (If they do, I don't intend to dispute them, even if the policy has a comical side to it. It may still be a necessary compromise.)

OT: Just out of curiosity, not out of a desire for actually using the words - does the language filter scan for words in languages other than English?

Nevertheless, as an observer, I'm glad to see a possible solution being offered for this particular case.

To the original poster - I appreciate the polite tone of your post (especially considering the circumstances...) and the humorous contrast created between that and the frustration apparent in your "non-desired username".

Welcome to the forums, and hope you get the name you want.

kko1
    Please mark your thread solved when it is. Click Thread Tools, then Mark this thread as solved. It's fast and helps others! If appropriate, also post and tell what solution worked for you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kko1 View Post
    LaRoza - I suspected the same cause, and wondered whether scanning even the intended usernames is really necessary.

OT: Just out of curiosity, not out of a desire for actually using the words - does the language filter scan for words in languages other than English?

Nevertheless, as an observer, I'm glad to see a possible solution being offered for this particular case.
    Unfortunately, yes. This forum attracts a very large amount of non friendlies. The word list is a very large large list, and not specified by anyone on the staff (I think). This means that individual words are not really up to the staff.

It does English and American, but no other languages from what I have seen. Some people have had very inappropriate user names in other languages.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

LaRoza - Thank you for the information.

kko1
    Please mark your thread solved when it is. Click Thread Tools, then Mark this thread as solved. It's fast and helps others! If appropriate, also post and tell what solution worked for you.

Beans

So nothing can be done?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeghaderalleher View Post
    So nothing can be done?
    An admin should be coming along to help, but they do not seem to be online at the moment.

They will come and will make things right for you hopefully.

Beans

Admins?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeghaderalleher View Post
    Admins?
    I will go get them for you.

(For some reason, many staff are busy this week)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

jeghaderalleher , please pm (private message) me and I will see what I can do.

Mike
    Mike: "The hardest questions in life are the ones worth answering"