Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Distros?

Beans

Re: Recommended Distros?

I like SUSE however I stopped using Novell stuff though. I think Ubuntu bare with kde-core is good. Currently using KDE4 Kubuntu Hardy.

Beans

Mandriva sounds perfect for you.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try out Mandriva (with GNOME if you wanna change, or KDE if you wanna stick w/ it)
    Also set up Slackware w/ XFCE for a lightning fast system.

If there are parts of Ubuntu you like but want to try something different, go to Ubuntu's roots and install Debian.

Etch (stable) is pretty boring, but you can update to Sid and live on the edge

Check out Fedora as well while you are at it - it's the "consumer/testing" version of Red Hat Enterprise and is always an up-to-date leading (bleeding) edge distro that updates at a very fast pace.

I've also heard great things about Foresight Linux, and I'm planning to play around w/ it some in a VM to see what it's all about.

Beans
    Hidden!

Try taking this survey to find whats right for you. Pretty accurate for the most part:

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

If you are looking for a KDE Debian based distro Mepis 7 is the best in my book! Excellent hardware recognition and wireless configuration is a breeze with the Mepis Network Assistant. I originally used Ubuntu and I didn't even like KDE but when I tried Mepis I wondered how I used anything else. The forums are great and extremely helpful and there is a great amount of documentation. Here is a few things to check out:

1. www.mepislovers.org (Forum)

2. http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Main_Page (Wiki)

3. http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/us...ual/index.html (Manual)

Give it a shot and if you have any questions let me know!

Beans

Thanks again for all your replies, I took the survey and actually, it recommended all the distros you guys have recommended to me. Right now I'm happily running Ubuntu 8.04 with gnome, and it's great, but I'll try out the other distros and install them on my external drive.
    -Vertimyst

Beans

Nice avatar, Ichimaru Gin right?

Beans

I also place a vote for Mandriva and Mepis, especially mandriva as 2008.1 is looking to be a great distro
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

@NightwishFan: Yea, it is, and thanks. I actually haven't seen Bleach, though, I just liked that particular render when I was making my avatar.

@SunnyRabbiera: I downloaded Mandriva and Fedora last night, I haven't tried Mandriva (that's next on my list), but I liked Fedora's gnome implementation. I found their KDE version to be somewhat sluggish, though.
    -Vertimyst

Beans

Give SUSE11 a try. It's fairly fast, looks good and has good Gnome support. KDE4 is amazing in SUSE though, Thats what I recommend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast