Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people buy more expensive computer than what they need

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Why do people buy more expensive computer than what they need

Hello

Here is a question that effects Linux users and the computer industry as a whole. Why is it that people buy expensive computers that have capability that is never used. The example I think of is a user wants to use the internet and a word processor. A $300 machine would be sufficient for these task, yet they still purchase the $2000 machine.

This phenomenon effects the spread of Linux as one of Linux's advantages is that it can run fine on less powerful machines when compared to Vista or OS X.

Is this a trend that effects the computer industry more than others? For example few people buy high definition TVs if they intend only on watching low definition public broadcasting.

I haven't seen much discussion on this topic, if anyone has heard of an article on the subject I would be interesting in knowing about it.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Why do people buy more expensive computer than what they need

It's not really I trend I see much of. I was kind of under the impression that people are becoming more sensible about buying computers that fit their needs.

At least, that's what I notice in my neighbourhood. People with high-performance PCs are just hard-core gamers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think it's a combination of several factors:
    • If people buy computers in person from a store like Best Buy, the salespeople will often try to convince the consumers to buy the mroe expensive model, even if the consumers' needs are modest, as this is advantageous to the store (more profit).
    • If people want a certain name brand (Apple, for example), sometimes there is no modest-spec cheaper model available (the cheapest Apple computer you can get is $599 for a Mac Mini).
    • A lot of uninformed consumers are under the impression that more expensive items are necessarily of higher quality, so they spend more.
    • Some people get tired of old technology quickly and want something shiny and new, even if they don't need it for their computing habits.
    That's all I can think of for now. There may be other reasons, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by Bufke View Post
    This phenomenon effects the spread of Linux as one of Linux's advantages is that it can run fine on less powerful machines when compared to Vista or OS X.
    I'm not sure how that effects the spread of Linux. Low end or high end machine, it will still run Linux.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Hello

Here is a question that effects Linux users and the computer industry as a whole. Why is it that people buy expensive computers that have capability that is never used. The example I think of is a user wants to use the internet and a word processor. A $300 machine would be sufficient for these task, yet they still purchase the $2000 machine.

Is this a trend that effects the computer industry more than others? For example few people buy high definition TVs if they intend only on watching low definition public broadcasting.

I haven't seen much discussion on this topic, if anyone has heard of an article on the subject I would be interesting in knowing about it.

Thanks!
    So the computer is still usable in 5 years when you install the newest OS on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I guess if you can afford a nice modern computer it would be hard to resist. Even if it would be overpowered for Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Some people get tired of old technology quickly and want something shiny and new, even if they don't need it for their computing habits.
    +1

Should I be admitting this?

Beans

they're buying opportunities. For example in the future if crysis 2 comes out & they really like it, they won't have to buy a new computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A $300 machine would be sufficient for these task, yet they still purchase the $2000 machine. !
    People don't realise this.

Also.... More expensive must be better, right?

This is a common thought process. Simple side-effect of a (relatively) open economy, where things cost as much as they are worth in the market.

Beans

I don't play games, and do not use the visual effects, yet I like having good hardware.

I do not need expensive hardware, that is a fact, but it is the only thing I put money into for my own pleasure.

Everyone I think has something they like, but not need, and fund it. If I were to build a computer (not doing so because I don't have money), I would get the best case, motherboard, and processor I could get (it would be Intel, whenever possible), and I would get the largest reliable hard disks I could, and a lot of RAM.

If I restricted myself to what I need, I could get away with 128 MB of RAM, but 2.5 GB is what I have. In the big picture, the price isn't that different.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast