Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • None you should sober up!

4 22.22%
  • 3 quit while you're ahead.

0 0%
  • Drink a whole sixer!

3 16.67%
  • Skip the beer and go straight for the Whiskey!

11 61.11%

Thread: How many beers should I drink before recompiling my kernel?

Beans
    Hidden!

Talking How many beers should I drink before recompiling my kernel?

The title says it all. (I'm at one right now, and I have the day off tomorrow.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: How many beers should I drink before recompiling my kernel?

Quote Originally Posted by Junglizer View Post
    The title says it all. (I'm at one right now, and I have the day off tomorrow.)
    It's your kernel, there are many like it, but that one is yours.

I'm the lone instigator that voted whiskey so far. There's nothing quite as fun as trying to read through one eye as you squint the other trying to focus and make sure you're typing all the correct commands. If your kernel compiles properly after a few snootfulls of Jack, you know you've made it to the upper echelons of technical ability
    Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Beans

Re: How many beers should I drink before recompiling my kernel?

Might want to save your beers for when you're recompiling the kernel. It'll take as long as you want it to to set up, and then probably a half hour or so to compile, you're going to need something to do.
    "I refuse to be part of a society that encourages the rampant abuse of its own language." ~ The Black Mage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

sober is sooo boring . . . . . whisky all the way and cos i'm in one of those moods!!! Grrrrr
    Last edited by rolnics; March 19th, 2008 at 12:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

None. There's a lot of detail, and believe me, you don't want to miss anything out, or you get v. angry soon.

If anything, drink them while compiling, as some one else said.

Beans

Smile Re: How many beers should I drink before recompiling my kernel?

Whiskey FTW...

I just just back into Linux thanks to the simplicity of Ubuntu. when tinkering with Linux years ago I would compile my kernels. my job required much attention, but I'm excited to be back.

Since I've returned I'm still an intermediate user who maximizes features on my peripherals and applications, but I'm not an extremist. Would I feel the difference of compiling a kernel considering I'm currently a casual user?

Will it always be one of those things that I always wonder if I can do better and redo several times?
    I'm not against it... I just don't want to tweak the thing over and over like MSDOS v6 memmaker... I could outperform memmaker with hand edits. (I know this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison)
    -- i;m luvit, & i approve this message.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by luvit View Post
    Whiskey FTW...

I just just back into Linux thanks to the simplicity of Ubuntu. when tinkering with Linux years ago I would compile my kernels. my job required much attention, but I'm excited to be back.

Since I've returned I'm still an intermediate user who maximizes features on my peripherals and applications, but I'm not an extremist. Would I feel the difference of compiling a kernel considering I'm currently a casual user?

Will it always be one of those things that I always wonder if I can do better and redo several times?
    I'm not against it... I just don't want to tweak the thing over and over like MSDOS v6 memmaker... I could outperform memmaker with hand edits. (I know this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison)
    I don't think that you would specifically see the benefits of a hand compiled kernel if you are a casual user, you pretty much need to have a reason to do it. I for one, am pretty much OCD when it comes to my *nix. I need to have everything exactly the way I want it. This pretty much shows when you look at how I run stuff. Slackware (currently) or Gentoo. Source distro's, Fluxbox (editing the menus is so easy), I dislike modularized kernels and prefer to build in only what I need faster boot times and no excess.

(Also it was Ezra Brooks Bourbon Whiskey)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

its 11:30 in the morning and i just pulled out the whiskey.. You inspired me to be an alcobuntu user
    Your Ubuntu User number is # 29334
    My Blog: http://iamdanhenry.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by The Titan View Post
    its 11:30 in the morning and i just pulled out the whiskey.. You inspired me to be an alcobuntu user
    It's noon somewhere!