Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is talking about piracy different from advocating piracy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is talking about piracy different from advocating piracy?

You know what really bugs me about this whole conversation? A lot of us can't really say what we believe because we'd be accused of advocating something illegal and perhaps have our posts removed or forum accounts suspended. Censorship begins when people are afraid to say what they think, and I don't see how any community benefits from any form of censorship.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Linux: 'Cause it's free, open, or better?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelzap View Post
    A lot of us can't really say what we believe because we'd be accused of advocating something illegal (...) I don't see how any community benefits from any form of censorship.
    While you think that any community benefits from advocating illegal things? I do not quite see how that can be true.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by popch View Post
    While you think that any community benefits from advocating illegal things? I do not quite see how that can be true.
    Then you do not believe in freedom of speech. I won't hijack this thread with a defense of it or examples of the many times when "legality" is on the wrong side of ethics, morality, or justice. But it would be nice to be feel comfortable in expressing the added value of "sticking it to the man" that I feel I get from Linux in its proper context, which is a Windows-dominated world where most people don't feel obligated to obey Microsoft's interpretation of copyright law.

I'm off to install Ubuntu on computers in the offices of a local NGO that currently only uses Windows...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If people don't mind, I've moved this discussion to its own thread.

As a moderator, I'm always a bit conflicted about the issue, as I believe people should be able to admit the truth--that piracy does occur, and that some of our forum members do pirate proprietary software, and that in their countries, this is not necessarily illegal.

At the same time, I realize this forum is hosted in America and is subject to US laws. It is also the official forums for Ubuntu and should be kept professional and not put Ubuntu at any legal risk in any country for its content.

There is sometimes, in discussions like these, a fine line between admitting to piracy and advocating piracy.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Is talking about piracy different from advocating piracy?

I totally understand your position and appreciate your attempts to manage it constructively. Seems to me that moving this discussion to its own thread makes sense, especially since it was a bit of a sidetrack from the original post. Thanks!

Beans

Re: Is talking about piracy different from advocating piracy?

I think perhaps a comparison to something else illegal would be a good way to think about it. Perhaps purchasing drugs. I think it would not be out of line to say that it happens or I agree/disagree and why. Admitting I do it is on the line and saying how has crossed it, in my opinion.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    If people don't mind, I've moved this discussion to its own thread.

As a moderator, I'm always a bit conflicted about the issue, as I believe people should be able to admit the truth--that piracy does occur, and that some of our forum members do pirate proprietary software, and that in their countries, this is not necessarily illegal.

At the same time, I realize this forum is hosted in America and is subject to US laws. It is also the official forums for Ubuntu and should be kept professional and not put Ubuntu at any legal risk in any country for its content.

There is sometimes, in discussions like these, a fine line between admitting to piracy and advocating piracy.
    Funny, there's now political parties within the EU who are advocating piracy and encouraging citizens to pirate music, movies and software. It's based on a simple fact: all surveys indicate that 90% of the European population are pirates, so by criminalizing it you are also criminalizing 90% of the population - and if 90% of the population breaks a law, then it's time to change that law, and the way to make this obvious is to keep breaking it, as much and as often as possible.

I have not myself broken this law in quite a while now, but I can certainly see what they're trying to say, and it makes sense to me.

Beans

I can say I do not agree with 95% of the countless USA laws but to disagree does not make me a criminal. I do not break laws myself or encourage others to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I'm just a little confused or uncertain as to what this really means. I recall reading a post somewhere on the Forum in recent days that stated that the Ubuntu Forums servers were located on the Isle of Man.

Does that not mean that for legal purposes the Forums lie neither within US, EU, or UK jurisdiction, but within the Manx jurisdiction, with the relevant legislature being the House of Keys? (The Isle of Man is not strictly part of the UK, although under UK protection, and the House of Keys is its parliament.)

I have always thought how very astute of Canonical to place some or all of its activities within that jurisdiction.

PS Speaking of maimed cats (manx cats have no tails), is new meaning by any chance about to be given to the scenario of "The Mouse that Roared"?
    Last edited by Forrest Gumpp; March 18th, 2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Add post script.

Beans

To make it simple, just follow the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast