Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering Arch Linux - Install Questions

Beans

Re: Considering Arch Linux - Install Questions

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I will probably wait until this weekend as it seems time is not something I have in the near future.

Landon.
    Microsoft Vista | Ubuntu 8.10
    HP | DV6910US
    Ubuntu Registered User # 20970
    Linux Registered User # 449097

Beans

I've been considering arch as well.

I'm drawn to because it's a bit geeky, and sounds fun to learn. That aside, I'm probably gonna put much the same software that's on my ubuntu box. is it really worth it? should I be using xfce with it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rye_ View Post

I'm drawn to because it's a bit geeky, and sounds fun to learn. That aside, I'm probably gonna put much the same software that's on my ubuntu box. is it really worth it? should I be using xfce with it?
    There was a time I was dual booting Ubuntu and Arch using pretty much the same software between them. Arch had significantly more free memory at idle than did Ubuntu. More system resources are always worth it.

As to your choice of Desktop Environment or Window Manager, use what appeals to you. Install more than one and try them out.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rye_ View Post

Give it a shot. It is a lot of fun, and it sort of forces you to get your hands dirty, but you'll learn a lot on the way. The Beginner's Guide is excellent (if I do say so myself ) and will have you off and running in a couple hours most likely.
    Arch has no default desktop, no default anything. You assemble it from the command line and choose whatever works best for you.
    ..and the writing's on the wall,
    but the walls have all come down,
    if you can't see past the truth,
    I love to let you down..

Beans

Thanks for the responses. I haven't made the leap yet, honestly, still rather intimidated. I was once intimidated by Debian though and am comfortable with it now so, will be installing Arch this weekend.
    HP | DV6910US

Beans

Good luck. It's not really that hard, so don't sweat it. It does take a long time, though. I like Arch a lot and if I could finish all the tweaks on my laptop, I'd clear Ubuntu off of it and dedicate it to Arch.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EmosSuck777 View Post
    Good luck. It's not really that hard, so don't sweat it. It does take a long time, though. I like Arch a lot and if I could finish all the tweaks on my laptop, I'd clear Ubuntu off of it and dedicate it to Arch.
    The more I read in the documentation the clearer things are becoming. I have run into something I don't understand in the Beginners Guide. It says:

Code:
    pacman -S gnome gnome-extra
    However, when I search all Repositories there is no gnome-extra. Furthermore, same for gtk-engine-murrine.

I haven't tried installing yet so not sure what will happen when I reach that point.

Will see soon though!
    HP | DV6910US

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual View Post
    The more I read in the documentation the clearer things are becoming. I have run into something I don't understand in the Beginners Guide. It says:

Code:
    pacman -S gnome gnome-extra
    However, when I search all Repositories there is no gnome-extra. Furthermore, same for gtk-engine-murrine.

I haven't tried installing yet so not sure what will happen when I reach that point.

Will see soon though!
    I just checked for you, it exists. Easier to check here.
    ftp://ftp.archlinux.org

Beans

I think I'm sticking with ubuntu;

It may not be i686 optimised but its pretty snappy on my core 2 duo.
    I'm a gnome user (Gedit is unparalleled). kde is too cluttered, xfce is nice though.
    apt-get is great, could I want anything else?

Most Importantly, Canonical stands for freedom. I don't fear the inclusion of propriatry apps. The system they produce is really excellent, and it does mean a lot to me to have everything work.

May try arch on a secondary laptop/pc though.

Beans

Gedit is really nothing compared to vim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast