Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: slackware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: slackware

Quote Originally Posted by Taino View Post
    Or into a possible Slax install....
    Slax is awesome...but rumor has it that the 6.0 series be a bit buggy. Think I will wait it out a bit. I could always roll my own: slackware 12 + live scripts & kernel.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan View Post
    Arch RULES!
    Even the forum staff can't keep this thread on track!

All right, all right, I'll try Arch.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
    well,I have a doubt,I heard that slackware doesnot strictly resolve dependencies.how do u ppl manage ?
    <sarcasm>
    It's the funniest thing really. There are these little error messages that pop up telling you that package-x is needed and you go get it and compile it. It's a new concept they are trying out.
    </sarcasm>

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by factotum218 View Post
    <sarcasm>
    It's the funniest thing really. There are these little error messages that pop up telling you that package-x is needed and you go get it and compile it. It's a new concept they are trying out.
    </sarcasm>
    It really isn't that bad. I just make my own packages

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    It really isn't that bad. I just make my own packages
    I really need to start getting into creating packages... I just have to make the time and do it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    I really need to start getting into creating packages... I just have to make the time and do it.
    It's easy on Slack

Beans

@cardinals_fan:
    I'm just curious, what tools do you use to make your package. Do you use src2pkg or checkinstall?...

I've attempted to use src2pkg to make packages but failed on every attempt except for one. To me it's not full proof yet and it doesn't detect missing dependencies which is a major problem. The good thing about it is, it works with pkgtools.

If you do a blind ./configure, make, make install...sometimes you'll get errors saying that you need "package-x, x, x, x" and you'll have to go out and manually download and install all the required software then restart from scratch. And plus pkgtools won't be able to upgrade the package which sucks. You'll have to update it manually. If you use a lot of software, this is gonna be a biotch. As for system updates and pre-installed applications, slapt-get will update/patch everything with ease. You can also do this manually with pkgtools which is very simple btw.

The only problem I find with slackware is that it lacks official software packages that most people want to use. Most of the popular programs are either not ported yet or not at the official slackware website. They are hosted by other site servers and most of them are unofficial packages that are known to be altered and compromised. The good thing is that if you don't trust their packages, then you can of course build your own from source or grab the official package from slackware site.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by e.honda View Post
    @cardinals_fan:
    I'm just curious, what tools do you use to make your package. Do you use src2pkg or checkinstall?...

I've attempted to use src2pkg to make packages but failed on every attempt except for one. To me it's not full proof yet and it doesn't detect missing dependencies which is a major problem. The good thing about it is, it works with pkgtools.

If you do a blind ./configure, make, make install...sometimes you'll get errors saying that you need "package-x, x, x, x" and you'll have to go out and manually download and install all the required software then restart from scratch. And plus pkgtools won't be able to upgrade the package which sucks. You'll have to update it manually. If you use a lot of software, this is gonna be a biotch. As for system updates and pre-installed applications, slapt-get will update/patch everything with ease. You can also do this manually with pkgtools which is very simple btw.

The only problem I find with slackware is that it lacks official software packages that most people want to use. Most of the popular programs are either not ported yet or not at the official slackware website. They are hosted by other site servers and most of them are unofficial packages that are known to be altered and compromised. The good thing is that if you don't trust their packages, then you can of course build your own from source or grab the official package from slackware site.
    Checkinstall.

Beans

You should see if there is a SlackBuild script for the program/library you are compiling. These scripts will build your Slackware package; and the ones provided by slackbuilds.org are very reliable. The process of using a SlackBuild is fairly straightforward and can be quite educational.

As an example, today I built DOSBOX using a SlackBuild.
    • I found the program on SlackBuilds.org (making sure it was for my SW 12.1 system).
    • I checked the README file to see if there were any special instructions or dependencies that needed to be met (there were none).
    • I downloaded the file to my ~/Source directory, entered that directory, and extracted the tarball's contents using 'tar zxf dosbox.tar.gz'.
    • I downloaded the source tarball using the link provided by SB.o; placing it in ~/Source/dosbox/ (the directory created in the previous step).
    • I entered the directory, logged in a root, and executed './dosbox.SlackBuild'.
    • After a few minutes of compiling, the Slackware package was created in /tmp.
    • I then installed the package using 'installpkg /tmp/dosbox-0.70-i486-1_SBo.tgz'
    • I then logged out of the root account.
    This is all pretty straightforward but things can become more complicated when dependencies are involved. If the README for a SlackBuild lists a dependency, that dependency must be installed before you can build your package. Most projects only have a couple of dependencies but occasionally there are more.

For example, when I built AbiWord the README specifies seven dependencies (gail, wv, libgnomecanvas, libgnomeprintui, libgnomeprint, libgnomecups, and enchant). This high number of dependencies is because AbiWord is a GNOME project and Slackware does not include GNOME.

In this case, you should download all the SlackBuilds for the required dependencies and start building and installing them one-by-one (start with the libraries that don't list any dependencies in their README file).

If there is no SlackBuild available for the program you are compiling, it is not too difficult to create your own, but I would recommend using a few SlackBuilds first until you understand the process.
    "We visited sixty-six islands and landed eighty-one times, wading, swimming (to shore). Most of the people were friendly and delightful; only two arrows shot at us, and only one went near -- So much for savages!" - J.C. Patterson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123