Thread: Fuscia has left the forums (I rest my case)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Fuscia has left the forums (I rest my case)

KiwiNZ, Thank you.

In one action, you completely summarized EXACTLY how unpredictable the ethics can be here, which I stated in that thread. I wasn't (nor do I believe anyone else was) bashing your volunteer staff. But your opinion ultimately reigned high. I commend you for your volunteer work, but If you cannot take constructive criticism, then perhaps you should figure out how to.

Sorry if anything I said offended the volunteer staff.

Regards,
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans

Re: Fuscia has left the forums (I rest my case)

My post was pointing out the agreed process.

It reiterated what members agree to when joining these forums in as much they agree to the code of conduct, which prescribes the process and states the expected conduct .

By post singled no one , and did not include insults.

Yet your post here is slated in insulting terms.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

And.. at the risk of overstepping.. In response to your closing message:

Forum members are ALSO volunteers giving countless hours of their time to the community. I do not think it is so far removed from reason that a member should expect the same courtesies as an admin. if an Admin can criticize the posts of a user in a open forum, they should also expect it from time to time.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    And.. at the risk of overstepping.. In response to your closing message:

Forum members are ALSO volunteers giving countless hours of their time to the community. I do not think it is so far removed from reason that a member should expect the same courtesies as an admin. if an Admin can criticize the posts of a user in a open forum, they should also expect it from time to time.
    I'm insulting nobody. I'm leveling the terms. The only difference is, I do not take your accusations personally.

Beans
    Distro

As I see it, there seems to be a bit more behind the comments being made here than is plain. I can only address the plain ones.

I like fuscia. I also think there are things he has said and done that are against the Forums CoC. As do most good artists, he has a gift for finding the lines that society draws which delineate appropriate and innappropriate behavior, and occasionally pressing the boundaries. There are great places for that, and other places that aren't so great for doing so.

We had a conversation after a recent incident, fuscia and a few of the admin staff. He didn't like an infraction that we felt was warranted, so he is using his freedom to not participate here, perhaps for a while, perhaps forever. The split was amicable, if you read the thread.

There is no ban, no forced leaving, but there is an impasse of opinion. This is a reasonable solution, a sad one, but a reasonable one.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There is nothing more behind my comments than what I've already said in the original message and what I've said in this message. I honestly don't know how I could be any more plain without being abrasively blunt which is not really my style unless there is no other recourse.

What the heck, I'll risk it.

My point was, and is, that the system that governs the members of this board does not appear to have an equal system to govern the admins, and were there one I am sure there would be much less a conflict. The way it is, the control is completely at the hands of the admins. I would say the lesser of cases are actually discussed in a committee manner, and rather a heavy hand is laid on the thread and its all together silenced based on the opinion of ONE admin trumping the opinion of more than one member.

I'm not out to slander hard working volunteer admins, anymore than I am saying members of this board are any less important to the foundation of this forum. Ultimately saying, we can never openly question the ethics of an admins actions as it may come across as "hurtful" and constantly reminding us of their great volunteer efforts undermines with the member community gives back freely. The best thing you can do as admins, is drop that argument once and for all. Your opinions hold no more weight than a members. You are to use your forum powers enforce rules, not tip the scales by getting in the last word edgewise on a topic effecting several and closing the thread.

I like Fuscia too, but sadly he is a single case of what I can gather from the followup posts of the original thread, a frequent scenario taking form these days. You can choose to ignore it, but that goes back to the whole principle. While you govern members of the forum, what system is in place to unbiasedly govern you?

I realize a forum is not a government, and I am not saying I have all the answers, but I'm also not one who likes to ignore problems.

I hope my comments will not be received poorly. This is not a personal attack on anyone, just an identification of inherent problems that will hopefully start a trend of better tolerance by our admins to the community.

Beans

Its a case of that you believe you know the whole situation . You dont. There is interaction between staff and members that happens out of view and will remain confidential.

With the case in point there is information that is not in the public arena. It is between the member and staff .
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That has no direct relation to the statement, and underlying cause of my speaking up in the first place.

No, I don't know the whole story, but I don't think you are seeing the whole picture.

This is fruitless, I can possibly think of how to address myself any more clearly than I already have. I fold.