Thread: Advice needed on Xbox live

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Advice needed on Xbox live

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this. I'm not a member on any Xbox or Gamer forum, but hopefully someone here can help me.

My boss has asked me to select a broadband package for his home. The majority of downloads will be from Xbox live. This will be one or two hours a day, mostly first person shooters. How much download per month should I allow for this? 1 Gb? 5 Gb? 12 Gb? I really have no idea as I've never used anything like this.

Serious replies only please, this is my job we're talking about.

Thanks in advance. Mods please move this if it's in the wrong place.

Beans

Re: Advice needed on Xbox live

i use an unlimited service for xbox live (and everything really) mate, certainly as it sounds like your boss is going to be a relatively heavey user, id be wary about advising a limited service...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

If you're asking about downloading FPS demos, then some of the FPS demos can be up to, and somtimes a little over, 1 GB. If you're asking about the amount of traffic used to play a FPS game disc online, I can't help you because I use an unlimited service, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli Bob View Post
    Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this. I'm not a member on any Xbox or Gamer forum, but hopefully someone here can help me.

My boss has asked me to select a broadband package for his home. The majority of downloads will be from Xbox live. This will be one or two hours a day, mostly first person shooters. How much download per month should I allow for this? 1 Gb? 5 Gb? 12 Gb? I really have no idea as I've never used anything like this.

Serious replies only please, this is my job we're talking about.

Thanks in advance. Mods please move this if it's in the wrong place.
    Downloads are probably not the issue here, as the others have noted. You really need to pay attention to traffic.

You need unlimited traffic.

Most of the 360's titles do not have dedicated servers. Someone needs to set up the host game, and either invite friends or allow public players into the game.

Now, some games, like Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 use all of the player's connections to smooth out the game performance by caching some of the game content locally and then using each of the 360s as mini-servers. That makes the game appear fast to all of the players in the room, regardless of who is the host.

Gears of War and Team Fortress 2 require someone to act as the server.

It works really, really well, but you need to have no restrictions on the traffic if it is going to work properly.