Thread: trying to install steam for half life and half life two, cant see text

Beans
    Hidden!

trying to install steam for half life and half life two, cant see text

i am trying to install half life and half life two, and managed to guess my way through most of the button locations, but when it comes to the window that opens after saying "updating steam" i an at a loss. i click the orangish outline, above "valve" , go through the licence agreement, click the outline wear the "next" button box usually is[the one in the middle] and it gives me three grey boxes, against a lighter grey background
    as for what goes into these boxes, i am at a complete loss. can anyone help me?
    i have had this problem with other game installations in WINE before too, world of warcraft and such

anyways, if anyone can tell me what goes into these boxes, so i don't wind up have wasted my money on games i can play, i would appreciate it, thanks
    Last edited by 99bluefoxx; February 19th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: trying to install steam for half life and half life two, cant see text

A screenshot would really help...

Now that you are dual-booting with Windows (assumption based on your signature) you can try installing Half-Life and Steam on Windows and follow the installation steps to cross-check what dialog that is all about and your options.
    Last edited by erginemr; March 17th, 2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Hidden!

actually, i haven't had windows on my system for almost a year now, that part is there cause i have to use windows at school
    as for a screenshot, i have wine running on x screen 0:1, and have a problem taking screenshots on that side instead it takes it of x screen 0:0

if i did indeed still own windows, i would be more likely to use it for gaming and just acess the parition of it from the linux end of things...
    Last edited by 99bluefoxx; February 19th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

ok, finally got a screenshot
    strangly, you will notice that the window has no borders/decorations
    i do not know why this is, it just happens like that on my second x screen...
    oh well
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

May I ask why you are using wine on a secondary X server / screen?

Beans
    Hidden!

one: because i can
    two: because i find it much more productive, it allows me to read a tutorial or man page on one side while running commands on the other
    or on other days, i can chat on one side and watch movies on the other
    as for running wine on screen two i do so because screen two has richer colors than the first one, thus is better for movies or games[its a NEC accusync CRT, my otehr is a cheap acer al1716 LCD]
    my plan was basically to have one screen for internet/reading and the other for gaming/entertainment

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Need to install the font "tahoma" into the .wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts folder.
    All you can do is run to the end of your leash and BARK

}:-0 Mooo

Beans
    Hidden!

Figured that out a while ago
    actually, I built a whole new PC, and rather sadly, am no longer using linux. For one, it doesn't seem to like my machine that much (kernel panic while trying to boot, the one time it did install GRUB failed me), and for two, games run so much smoother for me in windows, that I've taken to just using that and tweaking the hell out of it. I imagine i could run stuff relatively well now that the machine is up to spec, but I also got a bit sick of tweaking and tweaking xorg to get window borders to work, or compiz to run, or both screens going at a proper resolution and refresh. Don't get me wrong here. I still love linux, and ubuntu, and still use 8.10 on my laptop, rather happily finding hibernating and a few other features working out of the box, but as far as life is now, I'm stuck back with windows for love of gaming and escaping reality in them.S