Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How to: Resize an Encrypted Partition (LUKS)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to: Resize an Encrypted Partition (LUKS)

On step 3 of shrinking, I get this error:
    sudo pvresize --setphysicalvolumesize 48.81G /dev/mapper/crypt1
    /dev/mapper/crypt1: cannot resize to 12495 extents as 25600 are allocated.
    0 physical volume(s) resized / 1 physical volume(s) not resized

What is that? How do I fix it? Thanks.

Beans

Hi,

thanks for the extensive howto! I got a new, larger hard disk for my laptop, copied the old disk byte-by-byte using dd onto the new one and proceeded along your tutorial to get the additional gigabytes into the home partition.

Worked perfectly, thanks a lot!

Hannes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes S View Post
    Hi,

thanks for the extensive howto! I got a new, larger hard disk for my laptop, copied the old disk byte-by-byte using dd onto the new one and proceeded along your tutorial to get the additional gigabytes into the home partition.

Worked perfectly, thanks a lot!

Hannes
    glad it worked.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!

edit: nevermind. I messed up while trying to follow this tutorial so I'm just going to restore from my backup rather than trying to fix it, because I'm not getting anywhere trying to fix it.
    Last edited by dgw; March 4th, 2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot who can't follow directions, I guess

Beans

Thanks for the great tutorial, it worked perfectly.

Beans

Nice tutorial, but I have a question on how it applies to me. I installed Ubuntu 11.04 from the alternate CD using the whole disk as LUKS, but Itold it to leave 80 GB free, thinking this would literally leave 80 GB unpartitioned on my drive, but it didn't. It seems to have left 80 GB free in the crypt (/dev/sda5 is the size of my entire HDD, but running "pvs" shows 80 GB free in the crypt area).

I'd like to shrink the crypt to be 80 GB smaller, thus leaving 80 GB of completely unpartitioned space on my drive. Which parts of the tutorial for shrinking the crypt should I follow? Just the last two?

Also, the part about using fdisk seems vague and scary. Any further advice on this? I've never used fdisk before.

Thank you!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by steevven1 View Post
    Also, the part about using fdisk seems vague and scary. Any further advice on this? I've never used fdisk before.

Thank you!!!
    There are no gui tools to do this for you. You need to understand what each of the commands I gave you is doing.

You can work your way through the tutorial, but if you get stuck, it sounds as if this is a fresh install ? Just re-install and be careful of the size of your crypt when you partition, or partition the HD before you install and specify what partition to use as the crypt.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans

Okay, so I caved and just grew my encrypted partition to fill the size of the crypt instead of bothering with the partition outside the crypt. Your tutorial worked beautifully for this, thank you.

Now, here's a question: I have a 640 GB HDD, and when I installed 11.04 from the alternate CD, I told it to use the entire drive for the crypt, but my /boot partition is only 250 MB and my crypt is only 584 GB...What happened to all that other space? Is it normal to be missing that much usable space when setting up LUKS?

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Further considerations about resizing a live LUKS-encrypted LVM

@bodhi.zazen Thank you very much for this guide. Although I didn't read much of the 'filler', I found the listing of correct commands in their correct order extremely helpful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Further considerations about resizing a live LUKS-encrypted LVM

Quote Originally Posted by sleepycal View Post
    @bodhi.zazen Thank you very much for this guide. Although I didn't read much of the 'filler', I found the listing of correct commands in their correct order extremely helpful.
    You are most welcome. Rare to find someone who does not need a little of the background "filler" on these forums as LVM is not the default behavior in Ubuntu, but more power to you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast