Thread: A Page Page?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

A Page Page?

At the risk of overlapping somewhat the idea expressed in the thread "Tour de Forum", and the content of the new Sticky "Guide to the Forum", can I throw in the idea of a Page Page button?

Before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I am pulling collective legs in proposing this title, I will point out that there exists a page called Spec Spec in another area of the Forums.

A 'Page Page' button would address the issue of discoverability of features relevant to any user's immediate situation on any given page within the Forums. The content of the Page Page would be laid out sequentially as a user would read any page of human readable text - left to right across the page, and successively line by line from top to bottom.

A 'feature' within the context of the 'Page Page' would be constituted by any clickable link or mouse-over pop-up information bubble incorporated within the page. Any non-user-interactive content of a page could also be more fully explained if its purpose is not deemed to be self-evident.

Where the use of the feature described might require more extensive explanation, a link to a relevant Sticky or How To could be provided at the end of the concise explanation offered on the Page Page.

There would be a Page Page button on every single page. Perhaps, also, every single page should have a unique and specific name shown in conjunction with the Page Page button. That way, any further query as to Forum functionality can be tied down to exactly where a problem may be deemed to exist.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: A Page Page?

Seems to me that you propose adding a feature to vbForum software -- tricky and non-obvious one.

Other proposals about improving FAQ were about describing forum functionality using existing features. Easy to do - someone just needs to write posts about it.

I like tho "unique page name" - maybe URL is unique enough?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    Seems to me that you propose adding a feature to vbForum software -- tricky and non-obvious one.

Other proposals about improving FAQ were about describing forum functionality using existing features. Easy to do - someone just needs to write posts about it.
    See new sticky?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

@LaRoza

Indeed, and to be sure, the new Sticky I saw.

You are right, if your use of the quote from P.Masiar effectively referring me to the new thread 'Tutorials on Forum Basics' was your specific objective. That thread will suffice for me to demonstrate what I envisage by way of a 'Page Page'. I shall immediately start working on one.

I acknowledge that there is overlap in the 'Page Page' suggestion with what is already available by way of information as to Forum function and features. The approach suggested is simply so to fit in with the habits of people with respect to the digestion of human-readable text, and make use of that habit to enhance discoverability of features.

To illustrate the seeming need for such improvement, I point to the fact that as I post, the total number of unique user views of the new Sticky displays as 49, the same number as for this very dry and unappealing thread! Now to my mind this just should not be, if active pursuit of information as to Forum functionality is what is to be expected of visitors to this sub-forum. When you look at all the other much more interestingly or topically titled threads recently posted, you would expect that more than 49 users would have visited the sub-forum since that new Sticky went up. Yet some viewed it not.

That is one reason why I am looking at a different, if somewhat redundant, approach, to somehow catch new users' attention.

-grubby is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!

Excuse me, but...I don't get what you're trying to say. Can you explain this "page page" of yours again please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

@nathangrubb

A 'Page Page' is nothing more than an explanation or guide as to the Forum features and functions accessible from the web page in question. The list of explanations is conceived of as being given in the same order as a person would visually encounter the page's interactive features if they were reading a conventional page in a book.

It would operate, without need for cluttering the web page, similarly to a mouse-over 'What's This' feature, in which an explanation of the function of a button, option, or link pops up when you hover over it.

The suggestion of a standardized button on every Forum page is designed to simplify or make plain to new users how and where to learn to get the most use out of any given web page.

Because some explanations need to be fuller than others, there is seen to be advantage in avoiding the restrictions imposed by the size of a pop-up bubble in a 'What's This' approach to learning the Forum.

-grubby is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!

Oh. I get it now. Well, if such a feature were to exist, I'd definetaly appreciate a "turn off" feature. But I can see how it would greatly reduce the amount of questions posted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

@nathangrubb

Perhaps the 'turnoff option' you envisage could be achieved by presenting the 'page page' as one or a series of annotated screenshot thumbnails.

They would then only come up if someone clicked on them for page feature information. Of course, it could well be that the amount of annotation could be such that a number of such screenshots would be needed to handle the features of just one page. In that circumstance, I suppose they would become known as the 'page page pages'.

This post is also being made as a test of the theory that the 'you have posted in this thread' icon puts on a blue shirt when one is both opening and last poster in a thread. See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=736678

PS Being both OP and last poster did not change the colour of the icon from green to blue.
    Last edited by Forrest Gumpp; March 29th, 2008 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Enter test result