Thread: [SOLVED] Which has better Hardware compatibility:Open SUSE or Mint ?

Beans

Talking [SOLVED] Which has better Hardware compatibility:Open SUSE or Mint ?

Hi,

I'm currently running Edubuntu/Xp dual boot. I no longer boot into Xp, so I'm going to utilize that space by installing some other Linux distro. The two distros which I have in my mind are Mint and open SUSE.

My graphics card is ATI radeon xpress 200. I would like to know if drivers are available for these distros, and if so, which distro has better capability of detecting hardware automatically.

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks for your time.

Beans

Re: Which has better Hardware compatibility:Open SUSE or Mint ?

As far as hardware detection goes, my vote is for the openSUSE 10.3 DVD. It detects a LOT of various hardware. As far as Mint goes, it's a LiveCD so just give it a try to see how it works with your hardware.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    As far as hardware detection goes, my vote is for the openSUSE 10.3 DVD. It detects a LOT of various hardware.
    um, that means open SUSE doesn't have a live CD ?

Beans

I don't know about your graphics driver issue, but the best advice I can give you if you're looking for a new distro is just to try lots of them out until you find one you like more than the rest. I'm guessing you had quite a bit of disk space dedicated to Windows, so you could partition that up into 5-10 GB partitions and try out various distros. Mint is very similar to Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

openSUSE has a LiveCD iirc, however it's not installable - simply a "demo". Should tell you if your stuff will work.

openSUSE has never worked well on either of my machines for some reason, but there are folks that absolutely love it - if you are allergic to the CLi, you'll prolly like it as YaST is very powerful, however package management is horribly slow (unless you use the SMART package manager, from what I hear, although I've never tried SMART).

Beans

mint gets my vote, firstly its ubuntu based, second it has a lot of its own bugfixes and tools to help you out and third: its parent company has never sold out to microsoft
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

I wouldn't limit yourself to those,I would also explore into the realms/worlds of PClinuxOS2007 or even Debian.Reason being they both have their own way of looking nice and feeling nice.PClinuxOS2007 espically it is just WOW.

Beans

I really liked Mint when I used it, but it didnt seem to have great support for my AMD x2 4200+ processor as it seemed to red-line more than it should during everyday applications. However, this may have been result of my old, slow, 6GB HDD. I have not tried SUSE, but I'd say give 'em both a try.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jayson.rowe View Post
    openSUSE has never worked well on either of my machines for some reason, but there are folks that absolutely love it - if you are allergic to the CLi, you'll prolly like it as YaST is very powerful, however package management is horribly slow (unless you use the SMART package manager, from what I hear, although I've never tried SMART).
    OpenSuSE is a distro that (barring any hardware issues) is a complete OS out of the box. I could see a new user to Linux install OpenSuSE and use it without installing or changing anything.

It isn't the fastest, of course, and someone who likes to tinker would probably not see a reason to use it, but it is an "install and use" Linux.

Beans

Thanks all of you!