Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Karate Kid movie

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

The new Karate Kid movie

I just watched the new Karate Kid last night. I thought they did a great job with the movie, but I had a couple of complaints.

1. The instructor's name wasn't Miyagi. It's not a big deal, but it was kind of disappointing. #2 was a bigger deal to me.

2. The movie is called "Karate Kid", but it's about Kung Fu, not Karate. This wouldn't be a big deal except that they made a point in the movie to really let you know that Kung Fu is not Karate. Stupid!

Other than that, it's a great movie.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Re: The new Karate Kid movie

i've been wanting to see this...your post gives me hope that it'll be decent

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

It was a decent movie. It was worth watching. They did a good job of pulling a lot of the main points out of the first movie and modernizing it.

Before I saw it, I really didn't have a lot of faith in Will Smith's son. I thought he probably only got the job because he's Will Smith's boy. When I watched the movie, I gained a lot of respect for him. Jaden was a pretty good actor, and he obviously is pretty great at Kung Fu in real life, especially for a 12 year old.

Great movie, but the Kung Fu thing annoys me.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I liked Kung Fu Kid, altough is not as good as the original is fun in a different way.
    Esos son mis 2 centavos.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I enjoyed watching it, but was not as good as the original trilogy.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I just watched the new Karate Kid last night.
    Will they make a port to gtk2 and call it Garate Gid?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheNessus View Post
    Will they make a port to gtk2 and call it Garate Gid?
    I think some developers from Korea are already working on it.

Seriously, Karate, Kung Fu, Taekwondo, it is all something Asian, right? Many people may not know the difference, but at least if you are making a movie about it, don't reinforce people's ignorance and let people learn something. But this is blasphemy!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    It was a decent movie. It was worth watching. They did a good job of pulling a lot of the main points out of the first movie and modernizing it.

Before I saw it, I really didn't have a lot of faith in Will Smith's son. I thought he probably only got the job because he's Will Smith's boy. When I watched the movie, I gained a lot of respect for him. Jaden was a pretty good actor, and he obviously is pretty great at Kung Fu in real life, especially for a 12 year old.

Great movie, but the Kung Fu thing annoys me.
    I thought Jaden did a great job in The Pursuit of Happyness too. Jackie Chan was also good.

Beans

Wasn't the title for 1) Continuity, and 2) because at the beginning of the movie, Jaden is learning Karate via DVDs?

And the whole not Miyagi thing is because well, Miyagi is Japanese. I think it would be sort of awkward if this movie featured a Japanese man teaching a black kid a Chinese martial art in China. Or a Chinese man with a Japanese name teaching someone a Chinese martial art.

You can't fault them for localizing. Honestly the movie is really good, even when people can nitpick about certain things like the above, it's nice to know that this movie was well-received!

I actually went to the theater to see it thinking it would be a black eye on a legendary film series, and got proved wrong. I was actually more into this film near the end of it than the original.
    Linux Registered User #457962

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I didn't expect to watch this movie. I am not a big fan of remaking classics. Not to say that Karate Kid was my favorite movie or anything, but even if you didn't like the original you would still have to admit its a classic.

That being said, one night i was bored and wanted to watch something new and decided to give it a go. I liked it. It was better than I thought it would be. I like the fact that most of the movie takes place in China and not California.

I thought they could have spent more time on the tournament and some of the training and less drama, but kinda expected that.

All in all i could see it as a good kid/family/single movie to watch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast